The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung Tumor Harvest for TIL

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung Tumor Harvest for TIL

Participant

Has anyone had a lung tumor harvested or biopsied and can share their experience?  They will be removing 1cm and we are wonering how invasive it will be and what the recovery time will be like.  

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MikeW
        Participant

Cindy…first, sorry you are going through this…but, it seems like your Mel team is looking for some novel solutions for you. 

I've had two lung biopsies in the last 6 months. The first was to validate the diagnosis and understand any mutations. The second one was prior to beginning treatment in an attempt to understand if I was PDL1 pos or neg. 

For the above, they took a much, much smaller sample than 1 CM so my situation may be much different. I went to the interventional radiation department, took the contrast an hour in advance of the procedure and was then wheeled into the room. For me, I needed to be 'active' for the biopsy…meaning awake enough to take deep breaths and hold them as they inserted the needed into my back to access my lung. This process happened 5-6 times until they had access to the tumor. Once they had access, they 'clipped' a few samples. They have me a sedative as well as something for the pain. Both were over in less than 30 minutes.  Recovery was about 3 days or so. 

Julie in SoCal
            Participant

Hi Cindy,

My experience was similar to Mike's.  Went into the CT room, and they gave me some happy juice to relax me, but not put my under. I was very awake through the whole thing, but not freaked out.

You feel the local anesthetic going in (small sting) and you feel a bit of pushing and then a short sharp pain (5/10) but then the pain is addressed ( think they use more anesthetic) and that's it.  Didn't feel any more pain.  You have to hold your breath a few times when they're getting the sample and I think when they do the CT scan (but I could be wrong about that).  It's pretty easy.

It didn't take me long to recover.  I coughed a bit of blood and a bit more the next day, but I didn't have any problems.

To be honest, I was freaked out about this and did not want it.  I'm not really sure what I was afraid of, but I wanted nothing to do with it.  Now I look back at this (and the VATs surgery) that laugh at myself.  It was really easy!!!  Possibly the hardest part is laying on your stomach on the CT table with your arms raised.  Yes, it really was that easy.

Trust all will go easy for you, too.

Shalom,

Julie

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics