The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Lung Nodules” = Mets?

Forums General Melanoma Community “Lung Nodules” = Mets?

Participant

Stage 4 patient here. Each of my 3 radiology reports at current treatment center have described "nonspecific bilateral punctate nodules" in the lungs on CT, but these are not measured like the nodules in other organs. They are "stable" in the latter 2 reports. Has anyone had similar nodules? Did they resolve along with other tumors? What is the likelihood that these are tumors at all? Is there any way to figure out if they are cancerous?

What is the significance of the adjective "punctate"?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Punctuate just refers to little points or divots in the nodule.  If they're stable, defined and small (under 30mm) they are typically benign.  I think the benign lesions are post inflammatory.  I had those in my CT scans and they haven't changed..  Its positive that they're stable and likely nothing to worry about.  

SABKLYN
            Participant

That's punctate, not punctuate (damned auto-correct!)

Spl25
              Participant

Thanks that's good to know! Did you ever have PET done? If so, did they light up for that?

SABKLYN
                Participant

I had my one and only PET in early 2012 when originally diagnosed.  Not sure if they showed activity then.

SABKLYN
                  Participant

I had my one and only PET in early 2012 when originally diagnosed.  Not sure if they showed activity then.

SABKLYN
                    Participant

I just checked back and it appears they did not light up sketchers n my PET

raun cesar
                    Participant

Agrred with Sabklyn,

They are reffered to as little points, and as long they are stable over time and under stays 30mm there is nothing to worry from them.

AliCat61
                      Participant

My husband experienced much the same thing. He did indeed have pneumonia, which has been successfully treated and cleared up, but subsequent xrays indicated "a very prominent reticulonovular pattern in the mid and lower lung zone. This could represent changes related to chronic interstitial lung disease. Possibility of acute infection can not be excluded. A less likely consideration would include nodules related to metastatic disease." We followed up with a ct scan and bronchoscopy and it appears that all is well. I hope that will be the case for you as well. If you haven't had a pet scan within the last 3 months, you may want to request one. In general your insurance should pay for it. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics