The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung nodules found on CT

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung nodules found on CT

Participant

I had melanoma in 2009. The dermatologist my Primary referred me to removed the tumor then sent it out to the pathologist  who diagnosed it as a melanoma. She recommended further excision with wider margins. The dermatologist  took it upon himself to do the wider margins removal in his office on a second office visit then he sent me to a surgeon who did a WLE & SNB. 

I delivered the tumor to the Hospital and their pathology lab found it to be an ulcerated IIa, Clarks level 5 with a high miotic rate, TNM pathological state pT2b N0 (i) MX. 

I am asenior citizen, was a smoker for approximately 45 years who quit 7 years ago . Last week I had a chest CT done and the findigs were:

Lobulated juxtapleural nodular opacity anteriorly in the upper lobe of the left lung
      measures 1.6 x 1.8 cm.

There is also a 4 mm nodule in the lateral basilar segment of the left lower lobe.

Impression:

Lobulated nodule in the upper lobe of the left lung is nonspecific, but
      suspicious for metastatic disease considering the patient's history.

The Dr.'s office called the following day and said he wants to see me. I made an appointment but haven't seen him yet so I have been researching this all day. I am wondering if this is something they will observe for growth or do they just go straight to further imaging, biopsy, what?

Thanks for any help you can offer ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It may depend on the characteristics of the tumors.  My father had a stage IIa melanoma, then several years later had a chest x-ray which showed a lung tumor.  The tumor (according to the pulmonologist) looked more like lung cancer than melanoma.  My Dad smoked during WWII but hadn't smoked for 60+ years – not high risk for lung cancer.  They ended up doing a biopsy on him because of the uncertainty.  BTW, his tumor ended up being lung cancer (NSCLC) as opposed to melanoma.  His lung cancer was treated but he eventually passsed away from melanoma at age 89.

So now that I got that story out of my system, many lung nodules are just monitored.  It depends on the size and characteristics.  Trying to biopsy a 4mm lesion may not be realistic.  However, the larger lesion is probably something they would consider doing something with.  Much also depends on location.  I'm afraid this will have to wait for the doc's interpretation on what is the best course of action.

Good luck!

Janner
          Participant

It may depend on the characteristics of the tumors.  My father had a stage IIa melanoma, then several years later had a chest x-ray which showed a lung tumor.  The tumor (according to the pulmonologist) looked more like lung cancer than melanoma.  My Dad smoked during WWII but hadn't smoked for 60+ years – not high risk for lung cancer.  They ended up doing a biopsy on him because of the uncertainty.  BTW, his tumor ended up being lung cancer (NSCLC) as opposed to melanoma.  His lung cancer was treated but he eventually passsed away from melanoma at age 89.

So now that I got that story out of my system, many lung nodules are just monitored.  It depends on the size and characteristics.  Trying to biopsy a 4mm lesion may not be realistic.  However, the larger lesion is probably something they would consider doing something with.  Much also depends on location.  I'm afraid this will have to wait for the doc's interpretation on what is the best course of action.

Good luck!

susanspotless
              Participant

Sigh, I hate not knowing even though I am not too worried.

About 20-21 years ago I had a routine chest x-ray. My Dr called me in to give me the results and consequently sent me for a CT. Supposedly there were two 'lesions' on my left lung, that was all I was told.

I was 20 years younger and a lot more concerned with ominous news like that. I worried my self and my mother sick for an entire 2 weeks. I couldnt eat, sleep, think about anything else.

The day of the cat scan my mother accompanied me. We anxiously waited over an hour for the test then I was finally called in and entered the machine. At the conclusion of the test a Dr. enetered the room and proceeded to analyze the results.

There was nothing there! No lesions! Nothing of any consequence!

Hoping this is just a repeat performance.

susanspotless
                Participant

About 20-21 years ago I had a routine chest x-ray. My Dr called me in to give me the results and consequently sent me for a CT. Supposedly there were two 'lesions' on my left lung, that was all I was told.

I was 20 years younger and a lot more concerned with ominous news like that. I worried my self and my mother sick for an entire 2 weeks. I couldnt eat, sleep, think about anything else.

The day of the cat scan my mother accompanied me. We anxiously waited over an hour for the test then I was finally called in and entered the machine. At the conclusion of the test a Dr. enetered the room and proceeded to analyze the results.

susanspotless
                  Participant

susanspotless
                    Participant

Janner, I just wanted to say I remember you from seven years ago. You must have a true dedication to helping to educate others and ease their fears. I admire that greatly, I couldn't take the heartbreak of the posters even though there were good developments and so much hope for them with new treatments.

I also remember Diane from Spokane, Hawaii Bob and Kathy A. from Poway, I lived one town away from Kathy A. but we never met. I was shocked when Kathy passed away, it seemed she was doing so well shortly before her passing.

I remember also the stories of so many others whose names I can't recall offhand from reading the discussions and often wonder how they are doing. I remember a lovely lady, a veterinarian from Hawaii. I hope she and eveyone that comes to this forum now and in the future overcomes melanoma and lives a long and happy life.

susanspotless
                      Participant

Janner, I just wanted to say I remember you from seven years ago. You must have a true dedication to helping to educate others and ease their fears. I admire that greatly, I couldn't take the heartbreak of the posters even though there were good developments and so much hope for them with new treatments.

I also remember Diane from Spokane, Hawaii Bob and Kathy A. from Poway, I lived one town away from Kathy A. but we never met. I was shocked when Kathy passed away, it seemed she was doing so well shortly before her passing.

I remember also the stories of so many others whose names I can't recall offhand from reading the discussions and often wonder how they are doing. I remember a lovely lady, a veterinarian from Hawaii. I hope she and eveyone that comes to this forum now and in the future overcomes melanoma and lives a long and happy life.

susanspotless
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

Hey Susan,

Yes I've been here a long time.  There is a bit of distancing you have to do to hang out here long term and I don't post as often as I once did.  Unfortunately, Dian passed away about two years ago (she and I were good friends and that one was very tough).  Kim K is the vet from Hawaii and she still posts on occassion.  Hawaii Bob is still around too – he doesn't post that much but he and I emailed recently.

Let us know how things go!

Janner
                            Participant

Hey Susan,

Yes I've been here a long time.  There is a bit of distancing you have to do to hang out here long term and I don't post as often as I once did.  Unfortunately, Dian passed away about two years ago (she and I were good friends and that one was very tough).  Kim K is the vet from Hawaii and she still posts on occassion.  Hawaii Bob is still around too – he doesn't post that much but he and I emailed recently.

Janner
                              Participant

Hey Susan,

susanspotless
                                Participant

I guess I should just follow up here. I had a PET/CT yesterday and am now waiting for Medicare approval for an appointment for the Cat Scan guided biopsy. I am disappointed because I thought the PET/CT would have a definitive answer to whether or not there was a malignancy.

susanspotless
                                  Participant

I guess I should just follow up here. I had a PET/CT yesterday and am now waiting for Medicare approval for an appointment for the Cat Scan guided biopsy. I am disappointed because I thought the PET/CT would have a definitive answer to whether or not there was a malignancy.

susanspotless
                                    Participant

Kim K
                                      Participant

Yup, I still lurk here :).

I don't know how long it has been, but glad to tell you I am 6.5 years NED from stage IV.  Carole K just posted a few days ago as well and is still NED.  My girls are now 11 & 8, still living in Hawaii working for Dept. of Ag on the Big Island, raising sheep and guardian dogs as well.

Aloha,

cool

Kim K
                                        Participant

I don't know how long it has been, but glad to tell you I am 6.5 years NED from stage IV.  Carole K just posted a few days ago as well and is still NED.  My girls are now 11 & 8, still living in Hawaii working for Dept. of Ag on the Big Island, raising sheep and guardian dogs as well.

Aloha,

cool

susanspotless
                                          Participant

Hi Kim,

Wow! It's been 6.5 years already! Time flies! I am so happy to hear you are still doing so well! Carole K. as well, that's such good, encouraging news for people ๐Ÿ™‚

Still living in Hawaii, lucky you! Sunshine and warm temperatures, paradise! Take care and be well!

susanspotless
                                            Participant

Hi Kim,

Wow! It's been 6.5 years already! Time flies! I am so happy to hear you are still doing so well! Carole K. as well, that's such good, encouraging news for people ๐Ÿ™‚

Still living in Hawaii, lucky you! Sunshine and warm temperatures, paradise! Take care and be well!

susanspotless
                                              Participant

Hi Kim,

Kim K
                                                Participant

Aloha,

cool

Janner
                                                Participant

Good luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics