The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

lung nodule

Forums General Melanoma Community lung nodule

Participant

I am a year out from diagnosis stage 3A. I had two primaries one on left chest and one on left middle/ lower back. We are doing scans and watching. So far all scans have come back good until this last scan and it said "There has been development of a 5 mm nodule within the left lower lobe. No pleural effusion is seen." Doctor said we would rescan in 3 months and see if there is growth. He mentioned that it was still very small and in a bad location to biopsy. How concerned should I be at this point? 

Missy

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Threefitty
        Participant

I am 3B  (mid back) and on my personal "lung node" watch. What I gather from this board is that this is not such an uncommon thing so maintain perspective if you can. I have experienced small growth (while in a trial and probably on Nivo) in a couple nodules. Per my MD; Too soon to tell. Could be an instance of a different/better cross section getting scanned. Could be benign. Wait and watch. The last radiology report used the word "concerning", but OTOH, that is solely due to already being a Mel. patient. 

So "concerning". (also at 5mm). But if there really isn't anything that can be done at this point, I try to just minimize worry. (did you see the actually scan? it's like 'find the pin-head without a pin attached in a pile of pins all with identical pin heads – while you squint at that pile of pins on the floor while standing up'.) 

Very much for the trained eye – who knows to look specifically cause we are already here.

iskitwo
            Participant

Thanks for your reply! I'm getting better at this waiting game that melanoma seems to keep putting on the table but some days are still hard.

jennunicorn
            Participant
              I’ve had lung nodules similar in size to yours come and go during my journey with melanoma. They’re always gone at the next scan, so not mel. Lung nodules are super common in people, my onc said if she scanned 100 healthy people that about half would have benign lung nodules. Melanoma creates a whole new level of patience within us. 🙂
                Toby0987
                Participant

It's nothing I've had lung nodules, mucus plugs etc. they always came back nothing. I'm going on 5 years  and still marinating at 3b

iskitwo
                  Participant

Thanks! Hoping for it to be gone  next time. I will be trying to put it at the back on my mind. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics