The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung Met symptoms

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung Met symptoms

Participant

I've had the strangest cough, for the second time in the past 6 weeks or so. I have uncontrollable coughing that seems so incredibly dry. The only time it is productive with phlem is in the mornings. The rest of the time, its like I have to cough so deep but it never seems productive. I sometimes feel like I cannot breathe deep enough to muster up a cough. As it becomes uncontrollable, I have to excuse myself at work.  Except 6 weeks ago when this happened, I have never experienced a cough like this. My last check-up was in October and everything was fine.

I've had the strangest cough, for the second time in the past 6 weeks or so. I have uncontrollable coughing that seems so incredibly dry. The only time it is productive with phlem is in the mornings. The rest of the time, its like I have to cough so deep but it never seems productive. I sometimes feel like I cannot breathe deep enough to muster up a cough. As it becomes uncontrollable, I have to excuse myself at work.  Except 6 weeks ago when this happened, I have never experienced a cough like this. My last check-up was in October and everything was fine. Sometimes it feels like that tickle deep in my throat. But once I get to coughing, its unreal.  I have very few other symptoms, if any. I think the only reason I'm achey and tired is from coughing so much. I'm coughing so much my chest, back, and arms are hurting.  No runny nose, no stuffy nose/head, no headache, no body aches, no fever. Just a very strange cough that with the exception of the morning hours, I can't seem to cough deep enough. It's like I'm gasping and coughing at the same time, to the point of feeling like I'm going to pass out or vomit.  Any thoughts?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamietk
        Participant

I might add this has gone on for a week this time. The last time it lasted 2-3 weeks. I cannot sleep in the bed. I have to sleep sitting up on the sofa.

Jamietk
          Participant

I might add this has gone on for a week this time. The last time it lasted 2-3 weeks. I cannot sleep in the bed. I have to sleep sitting up on the sofa.

Jamietk
            Participant

Jamietk
              Participant

Janner
                Participant

Just a quick thought, but my doc recently suggested updating my pertussis/whooping cough vaccine.  It seems there has been a much bigger outbreak of whooping cough lately – enough that they are suggesting vaccine booster shots. 

Most people who have lung mets don't complain about symptoms – spots are just found on scans.   Talk to your doc, but it might be something much simpler than you think.

Best wishes,

Janner

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Janner,

That is such a good recommendation to make. Many adults are no longer immunized fully (or their titers indicate no coverage), against whooping cough…ie pertussis!

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Janner,

That is such a good recommendation to make. Many adults are no longer immunized fully (or their titers indicate no coverage), against whooping cough…ie pertussis!

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Janner
                      Participant

Just a quick thought, but my doc recently suggested updating my pertussis/whooping cough vaccine.  It seems there has been a much bigger outbreak of whooping cough lately – enough that they are suggesting vaccine booster shots. 

Most people who have lung mets don't complain about symptoms – spots are just found on scans.   Talk to your doc, but it might be something much simpler than you think.

Best wishes,

Janner

Lori C
                        Participant

While obviously only a scan will be definitive, Will had lung mets for some time and never had any symptoms at all.  Ever.

Lori C
                          Participant

While obviously only a scan will be definitive, Will had lung mets for some time and never had any symptoms at all.  Ever.

Sharyn
                            Participant

I had that very same cough last fall. (Actually I've had several over the past decade). My Dr said it was a form of reactive airway disease. Not anything serious. She gave me a puffer (symbicort) which I inhaled twice a day. When the cough started to subside after a week or so, I stopped taking it, and sure enough, it came back again. Back on the symbicort, this time I didn't give up on it so soon, and my cough has been gone for 2-3 months. I also have lung mets, but my onc told me they wouldn't cause a persistent cough like that. But it would cause continual wheezing, not coughing, like there's an obstruction in your airway, even when resting. While it's always good to double check symptoms, I doubt this coughing symptom points to lung mets. Hope I'm right.

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                              Participant

I had that very same cough last fall. (Actually I've had several over the past decade). My Dr said it was a form of reactive airway disease. Not anything serious. She gave me a puffer (symbicort) which I inhaled twice a day. When the cough started to subside after a week or so, I stopped taking it, and sure enough, it came back again. Back on the symbicort, this time I didn't give up on it so soon, and my cough has been gone for 2-3 months. I also have lung mets, but my onc told me they wouldn't cause a persistent cough like that. But it would cause continual wheezing, not coughing, like there's an obstruction in your airway, even when resting. While it's always good to double check symptoms, I doubt this coughing symptom points to lung mets. Hope I'm right.

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                Participant

Hi

Lung mets, no symptoms until caught on a routine xray. 

Contact your doctor, it's the only way you will find relief.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                  Participant

Hi

Lung mets, no symptoms until caught on a routine xray. 

Contact your doctor, it's the only way you will find relief.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics