The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lumps under skin

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Lumps under skin

Participant

Hi —

I had nodular melanoma just about a year ago on my back, and now am feeling a couple of small lumps under my skin — almost hard to detect.  I had a wide excision done and had four doses of Yervoy.  One lump is under my front rib and the other is close to the original site.  I'm waiting to hear back from my doctors on next steps, but has anyone ever had this happen where it wasn't melanoma?  If you did have lumps that were melanoma, did you have any other symptoms?  Feeling very anxious….

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichelleRHG
        Participant
          Yes, very recently, in fact. My primary was on right thigh and recurrences were in groin and iliac areas. I’d had a subcutaneous lump in my right axilla for about 2 months which 2 docs said was not to worry about. When I had my mammogram, though, I pointed it out to radiologist who examined with ultrasound (it was 2x4x8 45mm) and wanted a biopsy asap. It was benign. Then 2 weeks later (!) 2 subcutaneous lumps showed up on my hand. They would roll around under the skin and felt hard. My derm removed those right away and was a little more concerned about these….however, they were benign, also. My advice is don’t wait, get biopsied asap. Hopefully it will be nothing.
            MichelleRHG
            Participant
              Scratch that 45 number. Not sure where that came from
              Toby0987
              Participant

Hey-I’m 3b since 2013. About 3 Yrs after wle I felt a hard pea sized bump about 2 inches from original Mel site. Had it hacked out and turned out to be a nerve bundle from the surgery trauma. My wife compared me to my 13 year old black lab-bumps and lumps on him too (I’m 43). Had to laugh. So it was nothing. Get them cut out and tested for your own peace of mind-

Treadlightly
                Participant

About 6 years after melonoma on the heel of my foot, I had a lump on the inside of the knee on the same leg as my original melanoma. I was quite concerned, as it was a marble-sized, semi-hard lump that would move around slightly when palpated. It didn't hurt, and I didn't recall any trauma to the area. I went to the doctor as soon as I noticed it, and he sent me to have an MRI. The result…it was diagnosed as a cyst…probably caused by trauma. The doctor recommended leaving it alone, and it eventually just disolved away.

Have your doctor take a look at it to be safe.

Best of luck,
                  Mark

ryanbkyle
                  Participant

Thank you for your response.  I found another lump this past weekend near the original site. It's the size of a marble, and I'm having some back pain now as well.  I have an appointment with the dermatologist tomorrow (she is at the cancer hospital I go to).  I'm guessing though that I now have Stage IV melanoma.  I'm very scared that this is a death sentence for me.

Treadlightly
                    Participant

I will remain hopeful that these lumps are not Melanoma.

Try to stay positive…with the understanding that we are all with you in this battle and will help you navigate through which ever path is needed.

Good luck tomorrow!

Mark (2A)

jen.bren
                      Participant

Hi all,

I hope the biopsy came back beningn.

I am experiencing something under my skin as well. My leg has a lump in it- not really hard and you can only feel it when my leg is swollen. My leg swells from lympedema. My dermatologist told me to see the oncology suegeon to get it properly checked. It’s been 14 years since my last recurrence of melanoma. I had it two times toal. It was originally on my ankle. Bump is in my calf.

I too am nervous but hoping it is nothing. It was nice to read your posts that turned out to be benign.

jen.bren
                        Participant

Sorry- also, I was Stage III melanoma. Original in 2002, returned in 2004 to same leg and groin lymph nodes. Had chemo then surgery then chemo. Been NED since 2005. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics