The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lump on Left shin

Forums General Melanoma Community Lump on Left shin

Participant

Happy new year;

Last week, just before going to LA for a week long get away, I was scratching my shin and noticed a large lump (1/2 inch across). It is hard but seems to extend across into soft tissue on the side. Since my first diagnosis came from a lump (on my back just over my left shoulder blade, but deep) I am concerned. Has anyone had the beast reappear in a distant location like this. From what I hear this is not something that usually happens. The shin is pretty far removed from the back of the shoulder, and I have had no mets in my organs to this point. I do have a regularlly scheduled PET scan this coming Thursday then my onco the following Monday, so should learn more. Just wanted to check here and see if this is something others have dealt with. 

Thanks everyone,

Ted

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Threefitty
        Participant

Hey Ted,

Good timing on the scan.

I just am writing that I was mid-back, and sometime during my treatment year had a massive lump across the flat of my shin. I could not believe I would not notice and scream about a bump like that. It didn't show black and blue. But it was a bruise and went down after 2 weeks. Just saying we pick up the strangest dings sometimes and that is a weird area for impacts due to lack of flesh.Let's go with that for now, eh?

WithinMySkin
          Participant

Hi Ted! I've never heard of melanoma spreading to a more distant location – it tends to like to spread in the central direction. I constantly have bumps and bruises on my legs that I don't remember getting. Lots of medications (most pain meds and anti-inflammatories, heart medications, blood thinners, even supplimental things like garlic and ginko) can cause you to bruise easily. Tell the onc, but hopefully it'll go away in a couple weeks!

Lauren

aldrichdesigner
            Participant
              Unfortunately, I would say anything is possible with this beast so its a good thing that its scan time for you. Fingers crossed its just a giant bruise or one of Dr pimple poppers lypomas (fatty benign tissue).

But I wouldn’t rule anything out and make sure your doctor knows right away. My melanoma has gone almost everywhere at this point so could really show up wherever it wants. Not trying to worry you just saying to be cautious.

tedtell1
              Participant

Thanks everybody, I suspect it is not a bruise, but it could certainly be something other than a tumor. I have been monitoring it and nothing has changed much since I noticed it. Seems the same size with no discoloration or ulceration at the site. I will find out after Thursday's scans for sure! Keep up the fight warriors!

Ted

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics