The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lump in Arm pit

Forums General Melanoma Community Lump in Arm pit

Participant

Every since I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC melanoma on my right shoulder June 2, 2010 I do monthly checks on myself.  3 weeks ago I felt a small lump in my arm pit under my left arm.

Every since I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC melanoma on my right shoulder June 2, 2010 I do monthly checks on myself.  3 weeks ago I felt a small lump in my arm pit under my left arm. It was actually so small at the time that my husband could not even feel it.  I am 7 1/2 months into Interferon treatments.  I waited to see if the lump changed at all or went away because I know Lymph Nodes swell sometimes do to infection or sickness.  Last Friday I noticed it had gotten a little bigger, about the size of a marble and can easily be felt now.  It is not painful and it feels kind of soft.  I saw my Onc Doctor yesterday and he appeared to be pretty concerned and wants a biopsy as soon as possible.  I now have an appointment for consultation next Monday with surgeon.  I am glad it was so soon.  They are not sure if they will do the biopsy that day or schedule surgery.  I am trying very hard to stay positive as this could be nothing.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ali
        Participant

I would think they would do a needle aspiriation biopsy before they go into surgery.  They did this for an in transit spot they found on my PET scan, and the results were back within days (positive for melanoma).  It was then surgically removed.  Mine felt hard, round and well defined.  It was not a lymph node, however. 

I hope it is nothing!  You are in what I thought was the worst months of interferon, not fair you have to worry about this too!

Good luck!

Ali, stage IIIC

Ali
          Participant

I would think they would do a needle aspiriation biopsy before they go into surgery.  They did this for an in transit spot they found on my PET scan, and the results were back within days (positive for melanoma).  It was then surgically removed.  Mine felt hard, round and well defined.  It was not a lymph node, however. 

I hope it is nothing!  You are in what I thought was the worst months of interferon, not fair you have to worry about this too!

Good luck!

Ali, stage IIIC

akls
            Participant

Laurie,

I would think they would do an ultrasound guided biopsy as the next step.  That is what they did when they found the nodules in my thyroid.  There have been a lot of people on this board with lumps that have been nothing so try and stay positive.  Are you going back to U of M for the biopsy? I read your profile.  I went back for mine, but it was the thyroid clinic that did it not the melanoma clinic.

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
              Participant

Laurie,

I would think they would do an ultrasound guided biopsy as the next step.  That is what they did when they found the nodules in my thyroid.  There have been a lot of people on this board with lumps that have been nothing so try and stay positive.  Are you going back to U of M for the biopsy? I read your profile.  I went back for mine, but it was the thyroid clinic that did it not the melanoma clinic.

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Amy S. in Michigan

ShariC
                Participant

I had a similar experience, but the small lump I found was just under the scar in the armpit I had my lymph nodes removed.  The surgeon did an immediate needle biopsy and sent the results to pathology and I only had to wait a day for results.  It was melanoma that had returned probably because my lymph node tumor had extended beyond the edge of the node, and when they removed them, they couldn't get clean margins.  Freaked me out, of course.  BUT…my doctor wasn't concerned and he left it there for two of my 4 bio chemotherapy treatments so he could monitor melanoma's response to my treatment.  It nearly went completely away – complete response.  And then I had the tumor remnants removed with a 2nd surgery.  I hope I remain cancer free.  If it IS something, don't freak….might not be as bad as you suspect even IF it is Mel.  Hope this helps…good luck and stay positive! – Shari

ShariC
                  Participant

I had a similar experience, but the small lump I found was just under the scar in the armpit I had my lymph nodes removed.  The surgeon did an immediate needle biopsy and sent the results to pathology and I only had to wait a day for results.  It was melanoma that had returned probably because my lymph node tumor had extended beyond the edge of the node, and when they removed them, they couldn't get clean margins.  Freaked me out, of course.  BUT…my doctor wasn't concerned and he left it there for two of my 4 bio chemotherapy treatments so he could monitor melanoma's response to my treatment.  It nearly went completely away – complete response.  And then I had the tumor remnants removed with a 2nd surgery.  I hope I remain cancer free.  If it IS something, don't freak….might not be as bad as you suspect even IF it is Mel.  Hope this helps…good luck and stay positive! – Shari

jtheisen29
                    Participant

My sister was diagnosed with stage 3b Sept 09 and a couple of months ago she found a lump under her arm that she had her SNB. She had a needle biopsy done and it turned out to be a reactive node. So hang on and don't worry till it's time to worry! 

Jessica (twin sister diagnosed with stage 3b Sept 09 while 5 months pregnant)

jtheisen29
                      Participant

My sister was diagnosed with stage 3b Sept 09 and a couple of months ago she found a lump under her arm that she had her SNB. She had a needle biopsy done and it turned out to be a reactive node. So hang on and don't worry till it's time to worry! 

Jessica (twin sister diagnosed with stage 3b Sept 09 while 5 months pregnant)

Lauri England
                        Participant

This is a new update.  I saw the surgeon on Monday.  He does not want to do a needle biopsy on the lump under my arm because he said it is so small.  I am now scheduled for surgery this Friday for biopsy.  Surgery again.  I am familiar with this surgery as I had it done under my other arm a year ago.  I think they are only going to remove the 1 lymph node but we know how that goes.  Once they get in there sometimes they need to remove more.  I am still confident that this is not the beast returning.  I am only being cautious.  I will keep updating my status. 

Lauri England
                          Participant

This is a new update.  I saw the surgeon on Monday.  He does not want to do a needle biopsy on the lump under my arm because he said it is so small.  I am now scheduled for surgery this Friday for biopsy.  Surgery again.  I am familiar with this surgery as I had it done under my other arm a year ago.  I think they are only going to remove the 1 lymph node but we know how that goes.  Once they get in there sometimes they need to remove more.  I am still confident that this is not the beast returning.  I am only being cautious.  I will keep updating my status. 

Lauri England
                            Participant

Lauri England
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics