The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lots of survivors out there who don’t post here

Forums General Melanoma Community Lots of survivors out there who don’t post here

Participant

Hi everyone! I just wanted to remind anyone who is feeling depressed or hopeless about melanoma that there are so many melanoma survivors out there beyond this board (but I do love the survivors on this board :)). Either they don't know about this website or they are just off enjoying life so they don't come here to post, but they do exist and they exist in masses!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to remind anyone who is feeling depressed or hopeless about melanoma that there are so many melanoma survivors out there beyond this board (but I do love the survivors on this board :)). Either they don't know about this website or they are just off enjoying life so they don't come here to post, but they do exist and they exist in masses!

I know several melanoma survivors (Stages 3 to 4) who have been around for 10 years of more after winning their battle with melanoma. They aren't people I've met through this board; they are people I met when I received my stage 3 diagnosis 3 years ago and I began that long journey of researching all the details about melanoma. It's hard to think positive, but remember that some lucky people do survive for a very long time and you just might end up being one of those lucky ones!

Hugs,

Tracy

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Hi Tracy,

This is a very good point to make Tracy…we have a lot of new members on our site!

Wishing you continued success with fighting melanoma.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

dawn dion
            Participant

Thanks for posting this – I was just thinking that this morning.  Wondering how many more are out there.  Something else I have been wondering about, and I know there was a  reply about it to a different post.  Something about how stats are historical, but I wonder how much the "stats" have changed in the last 5 years.   I realize that for people like myself that are stage IV it is still a uphill battle, and yes mostly likely still grim, and we are not stats, but with all of the advancements I would like to know what they truly are.  Because people that are new to this, and I am not that old, they go to the internet right off and all it says is you are going to die.  I would just be curious.

dawn dion
              Participant

Thanks for posting this – I was just thinking that this morning.  Wondering how many more are out there.  Something else I have been wondering about, and I know there was a  reply about it to a different post.  Something about how stats are historical, but I wonder how much the "stats" have changed in the last 5 years.   I realize that for people like myself that are stage IV it is still a uphill battle, and yes mostly likely still grim, and we are not stats, but with all of the advancements I would like to know what they truly are.  Because people that are new to this, and I am not that old, they go to the internet right off and all it says is you are going to die.  I would just be curious.

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Tracy,

This is a very good point to make Tracy…we have a lot of new members on our site!

Wishing you continued success with fighting melanoma.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

BethA in VA
                Participant

Important post.  We have to give hope to those just entering this journey.  It isn't easy for anyone…but lots of us have been here for quite some time, and we are still going strong.  You never stop being a MM patient (there are still scans, x-rays,blood work and continuous appointments), but you become a survivor with each new day.  Good luck on your journey.  Beth 3/B  (1993/2004- NED for 6 more years) 

boot2aboot
                    Participant

that was nice of you Tracy to remind us, the newly diagnosed, that there is hope…thank you

boot2aboot
                      Participant

that was nice of you Tracy to remind us, the newly diagnosed, that there is hope…thank you

BethA in VA
                      Participant

Important post.  We have to give hope to those just entering this journey.  It isn't easy for anyone…but lots of us have been here for quite some time, and we are still going strong.  You never stop being a MM patient (there are still scans, x-rays,blood work and continuous appointments), but you become a survivor with each new day.  Good luck on your journey.  Beth 3/B  (1993/2004- NED for 6 more years) 

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics