The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for intratumoral il-2 injections for melanoma stage 4

Forums General Melanoma Community Looking for intratumoral il-2 injections for melanoma stage 4

Participant

we DO understand all treatment options out there and have been through most of the approved newer ones. Were are curently looking at intratumoral injections of il-2 . So far we can not find anyone curently doing this. They have done this at Huntsman combined with yervoy but not now. I think they are doing it now but not in the US. So if anyone has run across intratumoral injects of il-2 or combined with yervoy or keytruda / opivido let me know. If you get a chance ask around AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kentuckycat
        Participant

I was at Memorial Sloan Kettering not too long ago and we did discuss the option of T-Vek injections into tumors along with getting systemic Keytruda at the same time.  It was mentioned that insurance companies were not likely to approve this due to the expense of T-Vek.  It was suggested that an option is to inject the tumor with IL-2 (instead of T-Vek) along with Keytruda infusions and insurance would be more likely to approve that since IL-2 apparently costs a lot less than T-Vek.  So, it appears that injecting tumors with IL-2 is being done in combination with other systemic treatment.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

casneek
            Participant
              I think that combo is a clinical trial? Could you give me the Dr’s name that suggested the il-2.
              casneek
              Participant

I have been researching for months now reading hundreds of articles. I have reached the conclusion that Drs DO NOT give you the best treatment for you but the ones that make the system the most money. One Dr said he had followed intra tumoral injections of il-2 and had never seen less than a 90% response rate. Another article said there were very few toxic side effects with the most common being injection site redness. It is very clear to me that guided intra tumoral injections should be given first. BUT wait then we may not need to try all that newer expensive toxic stuff. There is an in depth study done in Oct 2015 of 11 patients with a 100% complete response rate. Tumors as big as 9 cm complete response. This is only one article of many. There are other injectables for tumors deep inside ( not just the surface ones )  along with il-2 that work very well .  We the patients should be given the choice.

casneek
                Participant

I have been researching for months now reading hundreds of articles. I have reached the conclusion that Drs DO NOT give you the best treatment for you but the ones that make the system the most money. One Dr said he had followed intra tumoral injections of il-2 and had never seen less than a 90% response rate. Another article said there were very few toxic side effects with the most common being injection site redness. It is very clear to me that guided intra tumoral injections should be given first. BUT wait then we may not need to try all that newer expensive toxic stuff. There is an in depth study done in Oct 2015 of 11 patients with a 100% complete response rate. Tumors as big as 9 cm complete response. This is only one article of many. There are other injectables for tumors deep inside ( not just the surface ones )  along with il-2 that work very well .  We the patients should be given the choice.

casneek
                  Participant

casneek
                    Participant
                      I think that combo is a clinical trial? Could you give me the Dr’s name that suggested the il-2.
                      casneek
                      Participant
                      kentuckycat
                      Participant

I was at Memorial Sloan Kettering not too long ago and we did discuss the option of T-Vek injections into tumors along with getting systemic Keytruda at the same time.  It was mentioned that insurance companies were not likely to approve this due to the expense of T-Vek.  It was suggested that an option is to inject the tumor with IL-2 (instead of T-Vek) along with Keytruda infusions and insurance would be more likely to approve that since IL-2 apparently costs a lot less than T-Vek.  So, it appears that injecting tumors with IL-2 is being done in combination with other systemic treatment.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

kentuckycat
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics