The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for Hope! – Someone let me know what this means?

Forums General Melanoma Community Looking for Hope! – Someone let me know what this means?

Participant
      Hello All,

My grandmother has stage 4 with multiple brain mets and a few in the body. She had 2 doses of immunotherapy – with a partial response – followed by 4 months of predisone and 2 immuno-suppresion infusions due to colitis. The colitis has resolved mostly – although she does have new onset Afib from long term predisone use.

Nevertheless, her latest PET scan shows: ” Since November 6, 2019, hypermetabolic pulmonary, nodal, adrenal lesions, suspicious for metastases; overall demonstrate increased hypermetabolic intensities on PET but unchanged sizes on companion CT.”

The Doctor said let’s follow-up and recheck in 3 months with another PET and “not to worry.”

However, the above means an increase in metabolic activity – which means they are alive and likely to grow?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          prescribed treatment of immo-enhancing(nivo, premb) drugs are based on clinical trial results. I asked my onc, “well if things go well after 6 months can I stop treatment’. His response was:” I don’t know, studies reveal results for 1 year treatment only” . You would have to have study that measured 2 or 4 treatments and then stopping or stopping and starting. No study like that has been done that he was aware of.

he bases his treatment on results of clinical trials and not his own trial and error with patients.

my PETSCAN showed some hints of lumps or lesions in lymph nodes beyond those excised in SNLB. Since they didn’t definitely identify a likely tumor, Onc would not venture an opinion as to their cancerous nature or if they would evolve into a cancerous node.

ed williams
          Participant
            Have they done follow up on brain with MRI scan? Some times you can get a mix of results in different parts of the body with some tumors getting smaller or stable and other’s new ones showing up. What size are the next mets
            ed williams
            Participant
              Have they done follow up on brain with MRI scan? Some times you can get a mix of results in different parts of the body with some tumors getting smaller or stable and other’s new ones showing up. What size are the next mets
              Bubbles
              Participant
                Hey Nas,

If your grandmother is still at Sloan Kettering with Chapman she is in really good hands, although it seems like she has certainly had a rough go of it. Like Ed, I would ask about any f/u eval of her brain mets with an MRI. As far as the other report – some “lighting up” is of course concerning, but if there has been no growth, then that is good! I really hesitate to second guess given the expert care you are under, but if you are really concerned, you might ask that the time of the next scans be moved forward a bit and/or for further clarification of some of the lesions with an MRI. But, again – Chapman and Wolchok are certainly Melanoma Big Dogs, so I hope that will impart some HOPE to you. Wishing you and your grandmother my best. Celeste

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics