The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for help

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Looking for help

Participant

Hi all,

Six years ago  I had a mole in my right thigh removed along with a sentinal node biopsy. The biopsy indicated micro metastisis to the sentinal node. I opted to have my superficial nodes removed. None had disease and the rest of my body was clean as well.

I underwent roughly two years of interferon treatment. I remained clean until now.

Hi all,

Six years ago  I had a mole in my right thigh removed along with a sentinal node biopsy. The biopsy indicated micro metastisis to the sentinal node. I opted to have my superficial nodes removed. None had disease and the rest of my body was clean as well.

I underwent roughly two years of interferon treatment. I remained clean until now.

Now I am scheduled to have a two by one centimeter subcutaneous nodule in that thigh (appr. two inches to the right of the original mole) resected in two days. My Pet/CT indicated no other melanoma spread beyond the nodule.

I am looking for advice on post-op treatment because I know I need it to deal with any possible residual melanoma cells. I have read many comments in the forum from people who clearly know much more about the immunology and science of the options than I do. I am happy with my oncologist but I respect the experience and knowledge of those commenting here. I would appreciate any and all help!

Thanks, Sue

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Sue, I don't think that you need to be overly concerned about the situation at the moment. As scans were clear, I feel that you just need to remain vigilant and continues to have any problems dealt with promptly. As the primary wasn't overly deep, there is a good chance that melanoma cells remain confined to the lymph system and haven't entered the bloodstream.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Sue, I don't think that you need to be overly concerned about the situation at the moment. As scans were clear, I feel that you just need to remain vigilant and continues to have any problems dealt with promptly. As the primary wasn't overly deep, there is a good chance that melanoma cells remain confined to the lymph system and haven't entered the bloodstream.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Phil S
              Participant
                Sue, once you have that nodule removed you will be NED, so it’s tough to find treatment as most trials need measurable disease. Find out your HLA A2 blood type and I think Dr Weber at Moffit in Florida is still doing a vaccine trial for NED patients but you need to be HLA A2 positive. Good luck! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                Phil S
                Participant
                  Sue, once you have that nodule removed you will be NED, so it’s tough to find treatment as most trials need measurable disease. Find out your HLA A2 blood type and I think Dr Weber at Moffit in Florida is still doing a vaccine trial for NED patients but you need to be HLA A2 positive. Good luck! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics