The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for Answers

Forums General Melanoma Community Looking for Answers

Participant

My husband had his last opdivo/yervoy treatment (tolerated three) in June of 2017 for stage four melanoma. CT Scans still show treatment is continuing to work.  Scans look good and labs are good.  The thing is he stil has days that are not good at all.  I am wanting to believe that since scans and labs are good that all is well–or at least better to the point of "bad days" are behind us.  He get extremely fatigued and has stomach issues.  My question is do you think there are other types of tests that he needs?  I realize I need to ask the nurse but I have a job that keeps me away from my desk and it will be very difficult for us to connect, And I realize that this isn't an emergency so I don't need to bother her anyway.  Any insight anyone has on this will be most helpful!

Thanks in advance,

Jim's wife

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        marta010
        Participant

Hi – even treatment was completed in June, side effects can still occur.  Whenever I see fatigue mentioned, I think of adrenal insufficiency.  Do your husband's lab tests include hormone levels?  Thyroid, cortisol, testosterone?  If not, I'd definitely ask that these be tested as these are often the cause of fatigue.  Take care.

Ann

smiller
            Participant

He is taking Levothyroxine for his thyroid. I will ask for test for the other issuse you mentioned.  Thanks!

ed williams
            Participant

Hi Jim's wife, fatigue and stomach problems are normal for the combination or either of these on their own. How long the side effects may stay with us is a great question that only time will tell since we are still early in the journey of knowing long term side effects and what they might be. From a personal point of view, I have been on Nivo by itself and fatigue and stomach issues started right away in 2014 and I am still dealing with them. I am still on treatment so a little different from your husbands situation. Some have used a drug that is given to ADHD kids called Ritatlin which acts like a stimulant to help with the fatigue, I was not able to use it since it increases the risk of brain bleeds and having have cyberknife SRS radiation treatment to my brain, it would have been to risky. Best Wishes!!!Ed

smiller
                Participant

Thanks for you reply.  I know I am asking alot—to me good scans and lab works should indicate  ALL IS WELL and we are only gettting better from here on out.  If only that was true!

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics