The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

local recurrence, scalp

Forums General Melanoma Community local recurrence, scalp

Participant

Greetings comrades and Happy Valentine's Day!

I will be meeting with a radiologist on Friday to discuss local treatment to an area on my scalp where 'my' primary and local recurrence were located…

Greetings comrades and Happy Valentine's Day!

I will be meeting with a radiologist on Friday to discuss local treatment to an area on my scalp where 'my' primary and local recurrence were located…

anyone have any experience with scalp (as opposed to brain) radiation treatments? Could I lose ALL of my hair, or only that in the general area…I'm just not sure if what I read is applicable to radiiation to the skin, as opposed to deeper tissue…of course, I'll learn much from the physician, but just curious…thanks so much and enjoy this day!!! 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        SoCalDave
        Participant

In Austrailia they've got a clinical trial using DPCP for local recurrences. Lucky for me, my Doc attended a symposium there right at about the same time I started having re-occurences. I had recurring mels for almost a year (probably 25 cut out in total), but with the dpcp I've not had any for over 3 months now.

Here is a link to the clinical trial:

http://www.australiancancertrials.gov.au/search-clinical-trials/search-results/clinical-trials-details.aspx?TrialID=308033&ds=1

It's not much fun having this stuff applied  – it's like you've been through a patch of poison oak or ivy, but it sure beats having the re-occurences.

Mine is on my leg, so not sure if they could put this on your scalp.

David

SoCalDave
          Participant

In Austrailia they've got a clinical trial using DPCP for local recurrences. Lucky for me, my Doc attended a symposium there right at about the same time I started having re-occurences. I had recurring mels for almost a year (probably 25 cut out in total), but with the dpcp I've not had any for over 3 months now.

http://www.australiancancertrials.gov.au/search-clinical-trials/search-results/clinical-trials-details.aspx?TrialID=308033&ds=1

It's not much fun having this stuff applied  – it's like you've been through a patch of poison oak or ivy, but it sure beats having the re-occurences.

David

SoCalDave
            Participant

David

Sherron
              Participant

Hi – sorry you have had a local recurrence….check you closest lymph node…My husband had scapl Mel…removed first tumor, did no treatment but alternative….2 years later, a local recurrence returned close to the originial tumor.  Finally had the 2nd tumor removed, but not before it went to the lymph nodes…He was about Quality Time, rather than Quanity Time.  He lived 4 years 3 months great…..then it spread like wildfire, he was gone within 3 months.  He never regretted his decisions.  Never did any doctor treatments, never missed a day of work until the end…so he did live it his way..So everyone has to make their own choice.  I would look at your closest lymph node at this point.  Wishing you the very best.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                Participant

Hi – sorry you have had a local recurrence….check you closest lymph node…My husband had scapl Mel…removed first tumor, did no treatment but alternative….2 years later, a local recurrence returned close to the originial tumor.  Finally had the 2nd tumor removed, but not before it went to the lymph nodes…He was about Quality Time, rather than Quanity Time.  He lived 4 years 3 months great…..then it spread like wildfire, he was gone within 3 months.  He never regretted his decisions.  Never did any doctor treatments, never missed a day of work until the end…so he did live it his way..So everyone has to make their own choice.  I would look at your closest lymph node at this point.  Wishing you the very best.

Take Care,

Sherron
                  Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                    Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                      Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                        Participant

Take Care,

scots
                          Participant
                            I had a scalp melanoma stage II, depth 3.7. Primary removed , slnb negative. 5 treatments of radiation to the scalp not brain. I only lost hair in the general area. Some hair has come back. I year NED last October . I year out fom radiation.

Scot

scots
                            Participant
                              I had a scalp melanoma stage II, depth 3.7. Primary removed , slnb negative. 5 treatments of radiation to the scalp not brain. I only lost hair in the general area. Some hair has come back. I year NED last October . I year out fom radiation.

Scot

scots
                              Participant

Scot

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics