The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

local recurrence – inteferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community local recurrence – inteferon?

Participant

Hi all

I would welcome anyones advice here please

I first had a 0.9mm melanoma remove from my skin in 2008 31/12/2012 I was diagnosed with a 3 mm local recurrent in the scar line this has been removed and I have been lucky enough to be told negative node after SLNB.

Hi all

I would welcome anyones advice here please

I first had a 0.9mm melanoma remove from my skin in 2008 31/12/2012 I was diagnosed with a 3 mm local recurrent in the scar line this has been removed and I have been lucky enough to be told negative node after SLNB.

I have now bee told to take interferon for 4 weeks high dose and then 12 months delf administered… I have a 8 month old baby to look after a 13 year old daughter and am scared I will not cope whilst on the course I also live in ireland away from all my family I am put off my the bad side effects but also dont want to regret not taking this chance to see off the monster your thoughts advice anythink welcomed as this is the hardest of decisions..

thank you

rachel

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        democat
        Participant

I am stage 3a/3b resected.  My primary was >4.5mm deep, and my mitotic rate was very high.  I rejected interferon but thought long and hard about doing biochemotherapy, which is supposed to be brutal, but is over in 3 months, as opposed to 12-13 months.  Both therapies have been shown to extend relapse free survival, but neither has been provent to extend overall survival. Ultimately, I opted against any adjuvant therapy.  I have since learned that at Kaiser California, which is huge and has a very high volume of melanoma cases, only 2% of stage 3 patients opt for interferon. About 10% opt for biochemotherapy. Over 80% opt for watch and wait. This is a very individual decision, but very few people seem to be doing interferon at stage 3 anymore. I also consulted with a melanoma expert outside of Kaiser, and he also recommended against interferon.

Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with the decision you make.  And regardless of what you do, I have been told repeatedly that the most important thing is to be vigilant in feeling for lumps, looking for skin changes, and following up with my oncologist and dermatologist.  The most important thing is to catch any recurrence as early as possible, and most recurrences are found by the patient rather than by scans (although scans are important too).  Also, I think it's important to eat a healthy diet, exercise, get vitamin D3, and maintain a healthy and positive attitude.

Roxanne

democat
          Participant

I am stage 3a/3b resected.  My primary was >4.5mm deep, and my mitotic rate was very high.  I rejected interferon but thought long and hard about doing biochemotherapy, which is supposed to be brutal, but is over in 3 months, as opposed to 12-13 months.  Both therapies have been shown to extend relapse free survival, but neither has been provent to extend overall survival. Ultimately, I opted against any adjuvant therapy.  I have since learned that at Kaiser California, which is huge and has a very high volume of melanoma cases, only 2% of stage 3 patients opt for interferon. About 10% opt for biochemotherapy. Over 80% opt for watch and wait. This is a very individual decision, but very few people seem to be doing interferon at stage 3 anymore. I also consulted with a melanoma expert outside of Kaiser, and he also recommended against interferon.

Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with the decision you make.  And regardless of what you do, I have been told repeatedly that the most important thing is to be vigilant in feeling for lumps, looking for skin changes, and following up with my oncologist and dermatologist.  The most important thing is to catch any recurrence as early as possible, and most recurrences are found by the patient rather than by scans (although scans are important too).  Also, I think it's important to eat a healthy diet, exercise, get vitamin D3, and maintain a healthy and positive attitude.

Roxanne

democat
            Participant

Roxanne

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics