The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Local recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community Local recurrence?

Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 3C in December 2013. I was in clinical trial E1609 until about a month ago, where I received 10mg/kg of Yervoy (ipilimumab). Unfortunately, I was kicked out of the trial after one maintenance dose because of adrenal failure. 🙁 last week, I went to see the surgical oncologist who did my radical neck dissection. During the exam, they found what they suspect is a swollen lymph node very close to where one of my scars is.. Maybe 4 inches from the original melanoma. They haven't called me back to schedule the ultrasound and fine needle aspiration and I'm getting more nervous by the day. I already have scans scheduled for Jan 2nd that were on the books before this. The recent exam was done at Vanderbilt and I am currently receiving treatment (scans, etc) locally in Knoxville, TN.

IF this comes back as melanoma, can anyone tell me what my next steps would be as far as treatment? I don't know if I'm BRAF positive as my original melanoma wasn't tested. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

As far as FDA approved if you are BRAF positive you can take the Tafinlar/Mekenist combo. From personal experience I would do it rather than Zelboraf. I did both and it was much easier to tolerate. But everyone is different. Also the combo is targetting both B-RAF and MEK whereas Zelboraf only targets B-RAF.

Also for FDA since you have already done ipi and if you are BRAF negative or the BRAF fails you then you can do PD-1. That is either Merck's Keytruda PD1 which is what I'm on. It is 2mg/kg every 3 weeks. Or the newly approved BMS Opdivo PD1 which is 3mg/kg every 2 weeks.

Of course you know about trials. I'm not really sure what would be good in your situation but I would think anything with PD1 but that is just my opinion.

Best of luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

As far as FDA approved if you are BRAF positive you can take the Tafinlar/Mekenist combo. From personal experience I would do it rather than Zelboraf. I did both and it was much easier to tolerate. But everyone is different. Also the combo is targetting both B-RAF and MEK whereas Zelboraf only targets B-RAF.

Also for FDA since you have already done ipi and if you are BRAF negative or the BRAF fails you then you can do PD-1. That is either Merck's Keytruda PD1 which is what I'm on. It is 2mg/kg every 3 weeks. Or the newly approved BMS Opdivo PD1 which is 3mg/kg every 2 weeks.

Of course you know about trials. I'm not really sure what would be good in your situation but I would think anything with PD1 but that is just my opinion.

Best of luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Best of luck to you.

Artie

Marianne quinn
              Participant

Hi Heidi- I was glad to see your post, although not the news.  My husband was in the same trial as you at the same time with the same  10 mg dose of ipi. He finished the 4 induction infusions with manageable side effects. Unfortunately, a small liver metastasis was found at the week 14 scan. He had microwave ablation surgery and has been NED since then. No further treatment and no maintenance doses. It was really hard emotionally to be removed from the trial.

Your tumor is in a registry somewhere. Your doctor should get it tested for genetic variations. This will influence your further treatment. Keytruda or Nivo may be an option also. It sounds like they are going to biopsy the node which was the first thing they did for my husband.

I am sorry you got such bad news before Christmas. I know last Christmas was really stressful for us starting the trial and everything. It sucks that you have to go through another anxiety producting holiday.

Please keep us updated.

Marianne quinn
                Participant

Hi Heidi- I was glad to see your post, although not the news.  My husband was in the same trial as you at the same time with the same  10 mg dose of ipi. He finished the 4 induction infusions with manageable side effects. Unfortunately, a small liver metastasis was found at the week 14 scan. He had microwave ablation surgery and has been NED since then. No further treatment and no maintenance doses. It was really hard emotionally to be removed from the trial.

Your tumor is in a registry somewhere. Your doctor should get it tested for genetic variations. This will influence your further treatment. Keytruda or Nivo may be an option also. It sounds like they are going to biopsy the node which was the first thing they did for my husband.

I am sorry you got such bad news before Christmas. I know last Christmas was really stressful for us starting the trial and everything. It sucks that you have to go through another anxiety producting holiday.

Please keep us updated.

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

Please keep us updated.

BrianP
                    Participant

Heidi,

So sorry for this news right at Christmas time.  Hopefully it hasn't distracted you too much from enjoying the season.  I know the news of the swollen node is very concerning but try not to jump to the worst conclusions too soon.  Could just be an inflamed node or it could be ipi causing some time of inflamation at that particular node.  The timing of the next scan is fortunate.  I think you are on the right track with needle aspiration.  It's really tough to contemplate next steps until you get the results from the aspiration.  Hang in their Heidi.  Praying for you.

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Heidi,

So sorry for this news right at Christmas time.  Hopefully it hasn't distracted you too much from enjoying the season.  I know the news of the swollen node is very concerning but try not to jump to the worst conclusions too soon.  Could just be an inflamed node or it could be ipi causing some time of inflamation at that particular node.  The timing of the next scan is fortunate.  I think you are on the right track with needle aspiration.  It's really tough to contemplate next steps until you get the results from the aspiration.  Hang in their Heidi.  Praying for you.

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Heidi,

Brian

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics