The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

local recurrence

Forums General Melanoma Community local recurrence

Participant

Greetings my melanoma clan…I"ve not posted, but I read everyday….I do now have a question…stage IIa diagnosed 9/2011…scalp…2cm around, clean margins, neg SNB…however, felt a hard nodule just on the edge of graft about a month ago…had hit my head there and had a sore, but it cursted, and then here's this…derm is almost positive it's a local recurrence which I understand is so not good…anyone have experience with local recurrence, any encouraging info?? thankyou so much…really

beattiesa

Greetings my melanoma clan…I"ve not posted, but I read everyday….I do now have a question…stage IIa diagnosed 9/2011…scalp…2cm around, clean margins, neg SNB…however, felt a hard nodule just on the edge of graft about a month ago…had hit my head there and had a sore, but it cursted, and then here's this…derm is almost positive it's a local recurrence which I understand is so not good…anyone have experience with local recurrence, any encouraging info?? thankyou so much…really

beattiesa

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        LaneyMcg
        Participant
          I have no experience of this I’m sorry I can’t help you, but i think maybe your derm shouldn’t jump to conclusions as i don’t think they can be sure until it’s been tested. I’m sending lots of good wishes for a good result, I know it’s a horrible scary time. Hang on in there, we all know how your feeling.
          Laney x
          LaneyMcg
          Participant
            I have no experience of this I’m sorry I can’t help you, but i think maybe your derm shouldn’t jump to conclusions as i don’t think they can be sure until it’s been tested. I’m sending lots of good wishes for a good result, I know it’s a horrible scary time. Hang on in there, we all know how your feeling.
            Laney x
            LaneyMcg
            Participant
              Laney x
              JerryfromFauq
              Participant

iF it is melanoma, it's never Good.  Having said that it may not really be very bad.  It is not unknown for a few melanoma cells to have excaped a tumor and be in the skin nearby.  This was the case I had  by  a lymph node basin.  I was told that they got clear margins according to the pathologist but that not all cells had stayed  in an encapsukated shell.   I kept a watch on  the area and 2 years later felt a lymph appear.,  It grew fast and I believed it to be another tumor.  It was remmoved and was indeed another tumor from the cells that went i nto hiding.  My Oncological surgeon immediately removed the lump. It was a black melanoma.   This was  in January 2009.   Three years later there has been no mmore problems in that area.

Get it checked and hopefully fully removed.  If a lymph gland swells to, get to your surgeon immediately to get it checked out.

walesgirl
                  Participant

thanky so much for replies…it was/is positive…surgery wed. to remove; I think it was 1.8mm…my margins had been clean at 1 cm (2cm removed) and neg SNB…it seems this occurred so quickly…very scared…had just seen oncologist week before who deals with the neck down, my onc surgeon dealing with neck up! anyway, she did deep palpation of neck, axillary nodes and felt nothing…oh well, the chase is on….thankyou again

walesgirl
                    Participant

thanky so much for replies…it was/is positive…surgery wed. to remove; I think it was 1.8mm…my margins had been clean at 1 cm (2cm removed) and neg SNB…it seems this occurred so quickly…very scared…had just seen oncologist week before who deals with the neck down, my onc surgeon dealing with neck up! anyway, she did deep palpation of neck, axillary nodes and felt nothing…oh well, the chase is on….thankyou again

walesgirl
                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

iF it is melanoma, it's never Good.  Having said that it may not really be very bad.  It is not unknown for a few melanoma cells to have excaped a tumor and be in the skin nearby.  This was the case I had  by  a lymph node basin.  I was told that they got clear margins according to the pathologist but that not all cells had stayed  in an encapsukated shell.   I kept a watch on  the area and 2 years later felt a lymph appear.,  It grew fast and I believed it to be another tumor.  It was remmoved and was indeed another tumor from the cells that went i nto hiding.  My Oncological surgeon immediately removed the lump. It was a black melanoma.   This was  in January 2009.   Three years later there has been no mmore problems in that area.

Get it checked and hopefully fully removed.  If a lymph gland swells to, get to your surgeon immediately to get it checked out.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics