The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Liverinflammation – ipi side effect

Forums General Melanoma Community Liverinflammation – ipi side effect

Participant

Hi!  I had my first ipi-infusion about two weeks ago. After four days I got ichting, fever and was very tired. Livertests taken were bad so I ended up in hospital where I still am, now one week. I immediatly got cortisol infusions whichte took care of the itching and fever but not livervalues and tirednes. Now the doctors search for reasons to the liverinflammation and treatment. Virus is tested negative so the only reason has to be ip side effects. Biopsi is taken but no results yet. Has someone here gone trough the same and have any advices?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Inger,

Sorry you are have such an adverse reaction to the ipi.  I have a friend that has also had some liver toxicities and I remember he was taking a supplement for it that he thought was helpful.  It was recommended to him by a doctor that both he and I have a lot of respect for.  Here is a copy of the answer my friend sent me:

"Silymarin (milk thistle extract) is good for liver toxicity. A high dose like 1000mg daily seems to make sense for actively dealing with liver problems. I think it acts on the surface of the cells to essentially make them less leaky/permeable (high AST and ALT measurements in the blood indicate leaky, damaged liver cells). I didn't see ninni's posts so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. There's stuff on the NCI website and PubMed."

If the doctors over there are anything like the doctors here in the U.S. you'll have a hard time finding one that will endorse or encourage the use of supplements but if you are open to those kind of things I suggest you do a little research and see if it sounds worthwhile to you.

Brian

Ninniditti
            Participant

Thanks a lot Brian for your answer I wil study this!

Ninniditti
              Participant

Ninniditti
                Participant

BrianP
                Participant

Inger,

Sorry you are have such an adverse reaction to the ipi.  I have a friend that has also had some liver toxicities and I remember he was taking a supplement for it that he thought was helpful.  It was recommended to him by a doctor that both he and I have a lot of respect for.  Here is a copy of the answer my friend sent me:

"Silymarin (milk thistle extract) is good for liver toxicity. A high dose like 1000mg daily seems to make sense for actively dealing with liver problems. I think it acts on the surface of the cells to essentially make them less leaky/permeable (high AST and ALT measurements in the blood indicate leaky, damaged liver cells). I didn't see ninni's posts so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. There's stuff on the NCI website and PubMed."

If the doctors over there are anything like the doctors here in the U.S. you'll have a hard time finding one that will endorse or encourage the use of supplements but if you are open to those kind of things I suggest you do a little research and see if it sounds worthwhile to you.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Inger,

Brian

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics