The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Liver surgery-anyone else with success story??

Forums General Melanoma Community Liver surgery-anyone else with success story??

Participant

My husband, Bill will have laparoscopic surgery on one 1.5 cm liver met next Tuesday. I believe this will be his eighth surgery. It's so nerve wracking and being in the liver for the first time it's just so unknown to us. He has a top rated surgeon so we're not worried about that. I guess it would be great if someone else had a success story with liver surgery. Thanks for any help and support!!!

Maureen

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        King
        Participant

Hi Maureen,

I just had to respond.  I don't spend much time on MPIP these days.  I've been Stage IV since 2005 and doing well.   In 2005, I had a 4.5cm tumor in the right lobe of my liver.  My aggressive surgeon (thank goodness) removed the entire right lobe of my liver (70% of the liver) and took my gallbladder as well….one less place for melanoma to go.  It was an open surgery…not laparoscopic.  I went on a 52 week clinical trial of GM-CSF after that surgery.  A few years later it was revealed that agent alone was not effective in treating melanoma.

Wishing you and Bill the best.

Stay Strong

King (Kathie)

Maureen038
            Participant

Thanks so much Kathie!! I truly appreciate your response. Hope is so important in this relentless disease. I really needed to hear from you!!!

Maureen

BrianP
            Participant

Maureen,

Nothing to add but wanted to wish you and Bill my best for Tuesday.  I'll say many prayers for Bill.

Hope you are doing well also Maureen and taking care of yourself.

Brian

Maureen038
                Participant

That means a lot to hear from you Brian!! I'm trying to hang in there, but it's terrifying to say the least. I hope things are stable with you. Always wishing you the best!!

Maureen

UBContributor
                Participant

I know 3 people (one is my relative, the other one is my high school mate' mom, and the 3d one is co-worker's bro) who had large portions of liver cut out due to cancer (not MM though) and they all are still doing OK in 4, 12 and 15 years respectively. At least one I talked to said the scans show her liver grew back notably. So THERE IS so much hope! Good luck, keep us posted!  

Maureen038
                    Participant

Thanks so much for your supportive information!! It helps so much!!

Maureen

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics