The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lingering Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Lingering Interferon

Participant

Eston was on Interferon for 10 months and it was stopped in late August due to what was thought to be stage progression to stage IV…so far doctors say the inflammation in his brain was not from Melanoma because not one cell was found.   He still seems to have what we call around here Interferon fog…memory slips or sometimes he just does not seem with it and some days he will wake up and you would have thought that he had just had a shot because everything hurts.  His joints are sore most of the time still.

Eston was on Interferon for 10 months and it was stopped in late August due to what was thought to be stage progression to stage IV…so far doctors say the inflammation in his brain was not from Melanoma because not one cell was found.   He still seems to have what we call around here Interferon fog…memory slips or sometimes he just does not seem with it and some days he will wake up and you would have thought that he had just had a shot because everything hurts.  His joints are sore most of the time still.  I was wondering if this happens with a lot of Interferon patients.  Will these side effects go away eventually.  We have not seen the Oncologist since stopping the Interferon to ask these questions because he has been seeing the Neurosurgeon and was expected to go on to do WBR…so his appointment is not until the end of the month.  Thank you Jaime

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        amybusby
        Participant

I had alot of trouble with inf and the effects varied from permanent to improved to time, to went away over time.  I have some cognitive problems like aphasia (tip of tongue syndrome), sort of drifting off in the middle of sentences, and short term memory loss.  I lost most thyroid function and have to take synthetic thyroid.  The fatigue stayed around a long time but gradually got better – until recently when I started other treatments what brought it back!  The Ritalin I take for fatigue seems to help a bit with the "fogginess" I still have.

Most people who have a hard time inf find that their problems lesson over time out from the inf.

Love,

Amy

Jaime.30
            Participant

Thanks for responding Amy!  I feel so bad for him at times with the joint pain…hands get so bad he has to wrap them up in ace bandages and take something.  He wants to get off all of his pain meds now that the brain tumor was not a brain tumor.  Hoping that the pains will ease up for him.♥ Jaime

Jaime.30
              Participant

Thanks for responding Amy!  I feel so bad for him at times with the joint pain…hands get so bad he has to wrap them up in ace bandages and take something.  He wants to get off all of his pain meds now that the brain tumor was not a brain tumor.  Hoping that the pains will ease up for him.♥ Jaime

amybusby
              Participant

I had alot of trouble with inf and the effects varied from permanent to improved to time, to went away over time.  I have some cognitive problems like aphasia (tip of tongue syndrome), sort of drifting off in the middle of sentences, and short term memory loss.  I lost most thyroid function and have to take synthetic thyroid.  The fatigue stayed around a long time but gradually got better – until recently when I started other treatments what brought it back!  The Ritalin I take for fatigue seems to help a bit with the "fogginess" I still have.

Most people who have a hard time inf find that their problems lesson over time out from the inf.

Love,

Amy

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics