The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Likelihood of new melanoma after immunotherapy?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Likelihood of new melanoma after immunotherapy?

Participant
      I tried to find information about whether brand new cutaneous primaries are more or less likely after immunotherapy treatment, but I haven’t found anything. I assume they would be less likely simply due to increased monitoring, but what about the drug itself?

Does anyone have any information, thoughts or experiences about this.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Have had this article abstract for a minute and was going to publish my report this week. But, since you asked – here:

What is the incidence of a new cutaneous melanoma lesion after immunotherapy?

celeste

YoJa
          Participant
            Thank you for the response! I am certainly in the worrier group.
            Bubbles
            Participant
              One other point of note – given the time studies require – especially with a 5 year follow-up involved – and the only recent approval of immunotherapy as adjuvant treatment for anyone – you can be assured that (though the abstract does not explicitly state) these patients were likely Stage IV. The recurrence rate for folks who are not at an advanced stage is ALWAYS lower!!

c

Mark_DC
              Participant
                Thanks Celeste – I had assumed the likelihood of a new cutaneous melanoma was low, and from your reports it seems really low. That said i see my dermatologist every three months (though i need to see him now) and if anything weird happens I go right away (I didnt do this for my recurrence a few years back and felt an idiot!)
                tkoss
                Participant
                  case study. type 3c. excised 4 axial LN and did 91 year opvido. never were the LN’s macroscopic, meaning no swollen LN or anything to visually observe.

1-1/2 years after last infusion both axial areLN’s enlarged and hardened to point of discomfort and will be removed next week.

i presume i will do immmo again after that.

just specualtion but the time from 4 existing microscopic LN to enlarged, was 2-1/2 years its almost like opvido did little to nothing. no way to know i quess.

tkoss
                  Participant
                    that i 1 year not 91.
                    Bubbles
                    Participant
                      Hey Tkoss. Though, I can understand in a case of possible recurrence to your nodes this may not seem very important – but the research report was only about the development of additional cutaneous lesions – not progression to additional nodes. Sorry you are facing your current difficulties.

c

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics