The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Life post interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Life post interferon

Participant

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone else has completed the 1 month high dose 11 months low dose interferon protocol.  How long did it take you to get back to "normal" after?  Any residual side effects?  Does anyone know of women who have become pregnant post-interferon?  

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ames K
        Participant

Hi, it's been about 15 years for me since I was on interfuron and I will say it takes a long t I me to get back to a so called "normal" life. I remember it took a year or so for my energy level to come back. And yes, you will be happy to know I had 2 beautiful children a few years later with no problem. I am now stage IV and they are 8 and 9 and they are my reason for fighting!

Ames K
          Participant

Hi, it's been about 15 years for me since I was on interfuron and I will say it takes a long t I me to get back to a so called "normal" life. I remember it took a year or so for my energy level to come back. And yes, you will be happy to know I had 2 beautiful children a few years later with no problem. I am now stage IV and they are 8 and 9 and they are my reason for fighting!

amelanomajourney
              Participant

Ames – thank you so much for the update and the hope!

jpg
                Participant

An important part of Ames message is the stage IV part.  The interferon did not prevent the disease from coming back.  Also, fertility is an issue.  Some are permanently damaged by it.  

gaby
                  Participant

8 month  ago my husband ended two years of treatment with pegylated interferon. They were two very difficult years …. But he  finally finished the treatment, He took a few month to recover, but now he has a normal life. The only problem is infertility. Interferon caused infertility, and despite fertility treatments even we could not have children. He was stage 3a, and thank God, not return melanoma.

Regards

Gaby

gaby
                    Participant

8 month  ago my husband ended two years of treatment with pegylated interferon. They were two very difficult years …. But he  finally finished the treatment, He took a few month to recover, but now he has a normal life. The only problem is infertility. Interferon caused infertility, and despite fertility treatments even we could not have children. He was stage 3a, and thank God, not return melanoma.

Regards

Gaby

gaby
                      Participant

Regards

Gaby

jpg
                        Participant

An important part of Ames message is the stage IV part.  The interferon did not prevent the disease from coming back.  Also, fertility is an issue.  Some are permanently damaged by it.  

jpg
                          Participant

amelanomajourney
                            Participant

amelanomajourney
                              Participant

Ames K
                                Participant

Don't loose hope! When I was diagnosed 15 years ago at stage III and decided on interferon treatment I was very concerned with fertility because I knew someday I wanted possibly to have children.  I was told it would never effect that.  Because of the treatment I went 14 years NED and had 2 kids with no problems…. whats so ever….and with one ovary!  Unfortunetely, my cancer has returned but we all have to have hope!

Ames K
                                  Participant

Don't loose hope! When I was diagnosed 15 years ago at stage III and decided on interferon treatment I was very concerned with fertility because I knew someday I wanted possibly to have children.  I was told it would never effect that.  Because of the treatment I went 14 years NED and had 2 kids with no problems…. whats so ever….and with one ovary!  Unfortunetely, my cancer has returned but we all have to have hope!

Ames K
                                    Participant

Ames K
                                    Participant

mwconklin
                                      Participant

Everyone is a little different. I had to stop Interferon treatments after 7 months because of a problem I developed with my left eye from the Interferon. I have had several laser treatments since then but the problem never corrected after almost 2 years. Some people have very minimal side affects.

mwconklin
                                        Participant

Everyone is a little different. I had to stop Interferon treatments after 7 months because of a problem I developed with my left eye from the Interferon. I have had several laser treatments since then but the problem never corrected after almost 2 years. Some people have very minimal side affects.

mwconklin
                                          Participant

jpg
                                              Participant

The facts are interferon doesn't extend your life.  Melanoma will recur if it is going to.  Don't do it.

jpg
                                                Participant

The facts are interferon doesn't extend your life.  Melanoma will recur if it is going to.  Don't do it.

amelanomajourney
                                                  Participant

Hey Anonymous, 

Thanks for your feedback, interferon treatment for melanoma is such a polarizing topic and I appreciate your point of view.

There are so many factors that play into this decision – How old are you? Do you have a family? Do you want to have a family? Has your government approved any other treatment for your stage of melanoma?  Are you able and eligible to access clinical trials?  Can you afford other treatments?  How healthy are you baseline?  What do you do for work, can you take time off?  What side effects are you willing to tolerate?

There is no easy answer and what we chose today could be very different and will be very different 5 or 10 years from now as new medication and treatment options become available for Stage 3 melanoma, but right now there are so many factors that make it a very personal decision.

I personally finished a year of interferon, and today do not regret my decision.  

Sam

amelanomajourney
                                                    Participant

Hey Anonymous, 

Thanks for your feedback, interferon treatment for melanoma is such a polarizing topic and I appreciate your point of view.

There are so many factors that play into this decision – How old are you? Do you have a family? Do you want to have a family? Has your government approved any other treatment for your stage of melanoma?  Are you able and eligible to access clinical trials?  Can you afford other treatments?  How healthy are you baseline?  What do you do for work, can you take time off?  What side effects are you willing to tolerate?

There is no easy answer and what we chose today could be very different and will be very different 5 or 10 years from now as new medication and treatment options become available for Stage 3 melanoma, but right now there are so many factors that make it a very personal decision.

I personally finished a year of interferon, and today do not regret my decision.  

Sam

amelanomajourney
                                                      Participant

Hey Anonymous, 

Sam

jpg
                                                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics