The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Leukine & interaction with Lisinopril (Zestril) and/or Hydrochlorothiazid

Forums General Melanoma Community Leukine & interaction with Lisinopril (Zestril) and/or Hydrochlorothiazid

Participant

Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

Bernhard just completed his second round of leukine on March 1.  A blood test taken to monitor his potassium level (high) showed something new = a creatinine level of 5.85; it was 1.3 January 19, before he started round one of leukine.  This creatinine level indicates possible kidney failure, B is in the hospital now getting the kidneys hydrated, and the condition reversed, we hope.  All doctors have stopped the two medications B has taken for years for hypertension and the next round of leukine may be delayed until more is known. 

So, does anyone have any experience with leukine and either of these two drugs, Lisinopril/Zestril, or Hydrochlorothiazid?  The doctors are stumped.

Thanks for any advice, experiences.

Julia

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Rocklove
        Participant

Julia I had similar problems with Leukine and Lisinipril. My creatinine level was normally around 1.0, but after treatment it raised to 3.3. It took about 6 months to get the level back under 1.5. The other day it was 1.3 and that was 6.5 months. So it has not got to my normal level yet. I am told it is trending down and that is a good thing. Basically wait and see.

The doctors were not alarmed…………I was… It really did scare me. I also called a friend of mine that just had a kidney transplant and quized her. She said the creatinine level works differant on many people. She had no pain or problems and her level was over 5………Some people have a lot of pain and problems and there level is 3.

Hopefully Bernhard will see his level decrease soon and the doctors get to the bottom of it.

Good Luck… Positive Prayers and Thoughts to both of you.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

jbergman
            Participant

Hello Rocky,

Many, many thanks for your response!  We were feeling so stranded without any information to help us understand what was going on.  We still don't know excatly what is going on, but at least there is one other person who has been there too.

We are in northern California and will drive down to San Francisco tomorrow to meet with Dr. Alain Algazi at the Melanoma Clinic at University of California, San Francisco.  May we share your email with him?

I see your name all over this website – thank you for  taking the time to share information (I'm a librarian, so I REALLY appreciate your contributions).

Onwards,

Julia

Rocklove
              Participant

Julia you are more than welcome to share my notes with anyone. Hope it helps. I thought my 3.3 was alarming. Make sure you leave no stones unturned with this creatinine level… until both of you feel comfortable.

Rocky

Rocklove
                Participant

Julia you are more than welcome to share my notes with anyone. Hope it helps. I thought my 3.3 was alarming. Make sure you leave no stones unturned with this creatinine level… until both of you feel comfortable.

Rocky

jbergman
                  Participant

Hello Rocky,

Many, many thanks for your response!  We were feeling so stranded without any information to help us understand what was going on.  We still don't know excatly what is going on, but at least there is one other person who has been there too.

We are in northern California and will drive down to San Francisco tomorrow to meet with Dr. Alain Algazi at the Melanoma Clinic at University of California, San Francisco.  May we share your email with him?

I see your name all over this website – thank you for  taking the time to share information (I'm a librarian, so I REALLY appreciate your contributions).

Onwards,

Julia

Rocklove
                  Participant

Julia I had similar problems with Leukine and Lisinipril. My creatinine level was normally around 1.0, but after treatment it raised to 3.3. It took about 6 months to get the level back under 1.5. The other day it was 1.3 and that was 6.5 months. So it has not got to my normal level yet. I am told it is trending down and that is a good thing. Basically wait and see.

The doctors were not alarmed…………I was… It really did scare me. I also called a friend of mine that just had a kidney transplant and quized her. She said the creatinine level works differant on many people. She had no pain or problems and her level was over 5………Some people have a lot of pain and problems and there level is 3.

Hopefully Bernhard will see his level decrease soon and the doctors get to the bottom of it.

Good Luck… Positive Prayers and Thoughts to both of you.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics