The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Leptomeningeal prognosis

Forums Caregiver Community Leptomeningeal prognosis

Participant

Caregiver here-to my significant other diagnosed 6 mos. ago with leptomeningeal melanoma, brain, spine and adrenal gland mets.  craniotomy, whole brain and targeted radiation, and now 4 rounds of Ipi/Nivo under our belt.  moving on to Nivo alone in a few weeks.  This is a hard road-my hat's off to you all.  Scans this week and next to determine effects of all treatments.  I'm a nervous wreck at what they'll find.  so hard to see your Beloved healthy and active one day and diagnosed 2 days later.  Simply Surreal.  So little is known about prognosis for LM, even with amazing drugs we're on.  Not really asking a question, just reaching out and sending all of you my hope and supportive positive thoughts.  

all my best–Diane

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        RichInLife2
        Participant

Hi Diane,

I don't know anything about that particular form of melanoma but I do know the feeling of anxiety and the not knowing before the scans and the lack of control over everything that I think is worse for care-giver than the patient. I think the anxiety before the first scan after treatment is the worst, although it never goes away completely. I really can't offering you anything but hope and the assurance that there will be good days as well as the bad days. Please come back often and check in. There are lot of great folks here who understand and who care. Wishing you and your SO peace, health and hopeyness.

-Rich

Diane F
            Participant

Thank you so much, Rich, for responding. I guess this is yet another stage in the cancer fight…the anxiety of waiting to find out if all we've been through has been successful or not.  I love your word, "hopeyness".  That's great…I'm filing that away πŸ™‚

Diane

WithinMySkin
            Participant

Hi Diane. I can't offer any help beside a huge internet hug! I know you cargivers are our rocks. I don't know what I would have done if my husband wasn't there for me throughout my treatments. He held it together for me when I was falling apart, and it honestly made me a better wife now that I'm 'no evidence of disease'. Wishing you and your significant strength and hope and all the good vibes – hang in there!!!

Lauren

Diane F
                Participant

I'm so happy for you, Lauren, that you're "no evidence of disease".  That's amazing.  And thanks for the internet hug πŸ™‚  This community is really lovely…

lkb
                Participant

You and your beloved have certainly been through it! Scanxiety is real. Wishing you both the best.

Diane F
                    Participant

"SCANXIETY" WOW.  perfect word.  wish I knew about this stage before it came out of nowhere and smacked me hard πŸ™‚  certainly explains the new levels of anxiety never before achieved….thank you for the good wishes and same to you…

casagrayson
                    Participant

Hi, Diane.  I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  πŸ™  Thank you for being such a supportive caregiver.  May I ask you a question?  How was your husband's leptomeningeal disease diagnosed?  My husband has some suspicious lesions in his brain that the neurologist say cannot be ruled out as being lepto without a brain biopsy.  We are in a watch and wait mode … with another MRI scheduled in April.

Diane F
                        Participant

Hi Susan πŸ™‚  He was diagnosed with melanoma during a craniotomy to remove tumors.  After two months of symptoms of lower spinal cord impact, an MRI of the spine and a lumbar puncture confirmed it was at leptomeningeal stage.  Drs. should have done puncture right away but he appeared too healthy (still working 5 days a week) to have leptomenigeal melanoma.  Wishing you strength and courage right back…this caregiving stuff is not something I ever anticipated-I mean who does…

Viewing 3 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics