The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Length of time on Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Length of time on Zelboraf

Participant

Feel like I'm fortunate to have been on zelboraf for 3 years with minimal side-effects although I seem to be a lot weeker with increased diarrhea lately. CT after CT show no growth in lung nodules after they shrunk by 10 X.

It just seems that people are either changing to different medicine for better results  or that Zelboraf becomes toxic.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Myquestions are:  1. How long do people survive on Zelboraf?

2. What 's the next drug that works when your body has been warn down by Zelboraf?

Bruce 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        kalisama
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

I don't think there are concrete answers to either of your questions. I'm sure there are survival and NED studies on Zelbarof.

I'm amazed that you have been on it as long as you have, I haven't heard of such long term use before.

My own experience is that I was on Z for 6 or 7 months. I suffered just about every possible side effect one could with this med. On development of my first met, my onc switched me to Tafinlar/Mekenist which had just been approved by FDA. I have had virtually no side effects with this combo, but have recently developed several new mets. I see my onc this Monday and I am uncertain of what route we will end up taking.

I know I didn't answer your questions, but I do hope my story is of some help to you.

Wishing you the best of health,
          kali

kalisama
          Participant

Hi Bruce,

I don't think there are concrete answers to either of your questions. I'm sure there are survival and NED studies on Zelbarof.

I'm amazed that you have been on it as long as you have, I haven't heard of such long term use before.

My own experience is that I was on Z for 6 or 7 months. I suffered just about every possible side effect one could with this med. On development of my first met, my onc switched me to Tafinlar/Mekenist which had just been approved by FDA. I have had virtually no side effects with this combo, but have recently developed several new mets. I see my onc this Monday and I am uncertain of what route we will end up taking.

I know I didn't answer your questions, but I do hope my story is of some help to you.

kali

kalisama
            Participant

Hi Bruce,

kali

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

I have known people that have been on it for 7 years.  About 50% of the people that start it or off at by the 1 year point.   It is unknown how l long  the Zel can continue to be successful in any one individual.  I am on a C-kit targeted chemo for C-KIT cancers (not FDA approved for Melanoma)/  I have know people that it never started working on.  I have known others that it stopped working on in a few as two months after starting to work.  i know other people with other c-kit cancers that have been taking it for over 13 years.  I have been on it for over 5 years.  The statistical bases for these newer drugs are still being developed.  The one thing to remember is that You OR I are not statistics.  WE are individuals.  Time will tell, statistical figures will not tell for an individual.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

I have known people that have been on it for 7 years.  About 50% of the people that start it or off at by the 1 year point.   It is unknown how l long  the Zel can continue to be successful in any one individual.  I am on a C-kit targeted chemo for C-KIT cancers (not FDA approved for Melanoma)/  I have know people that it never started working on.  I have known others that it stopped working on in a few as two months after starting to work.  i know other people with other c-kit cancers that have been taking it for over 13 years.  I have been on it for over 5 years.  The statistical bases for these newer drugs are still being developed.  The one thing to remember is that You OR I are not statistics.  WE are individuals.  Time will tell, statistical figures will not tell for an individual.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

jmmm
                    Participant

We have been wondering this exact same thing.  My husband will have been on Zelbiraf for 3 years in October.  A little off and on due to medical stuff…surgeries, kidney issues, liver issues, but mostly on the entire time.  He deals with the joint pain, extreme sun sensitivity, and diarrhea.  He's been NED for  a little more than 2 years.  His oncologist has encouraged him to stop taking it to see what happens.  He is not comfortable with that, so he keeps taking it and waits for something to changel.  I think PD-1 will be his next choice (he had Ipi prior to Zelboraf and it worked for a couple of months before he progressed).

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Jmmm, do some research on the interruption trials they are doing on Zeal.  It looks like temporally interrupting Zel and resuming may actually extend how long the Zel will continue to provide a benefit to BRAF melanoma patients.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Jmmm, do some research on the interruption trials they are doing on Zeal.  It looks like temporally interrupting Zel and resuming may actually extend how long the Zel will continue to provide a benefit to BRAF melanoma patients.

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

jmmm
                            Participant

We have been wondering this exact same thing.  My husband will have been on Zelbiraf for 3 years in October.  A little off and on due to medical stuff…surgeries, kidney issues, liver issues, but mostly on the entire time.  He deals with the joint pain, extreme sun sensitivity, and diarrhea.  He's been NED for  a little more than 2 years.  His oncologist has encouraged him to stop taking it to see what happens.  He is not comfortable with that, so he keeps taking it and waits for something to changel.  I think PD-1 will be his next choice (he had Ipi prior to Zelboraf and it worked for a couple of months before he progressed).

jmmm
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics