The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Leg pain and ipilimumab?

Forums General Melanoma Community Leg pain and ipilimumab?

Participant

Has anyone experienced calf pain and swelling while in ipilimumab? Also redness and pain in eyes?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Nicklindner
        Participant

I experienced a good amount of calf pain and cramping while on IPI. I would also get really bad foot and toe cramps.  Hang in there it will get better. 

Dhva
            Participant

Thanks, still experiencing intermittent pain in the lower leg,some swelling and redness. Hoping it will resolve.

jennunicorn
              Participant

Make sure you show to your doctor, you want to make sure it is not a blood clot/DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which usually starts in the leg. I've had a couple of friends get one in their calf, it's not something to mess with.

Rocco
              Participant

Yes to redness and pain in the eyes. Tell your oncologist immediately and get checked out by an Opthamologist.  Tell them that eye issues while not common are listed as a potential side effect with Ipi/Yervoy:  "Eye problems. Symptoms may include: blurry vision, double vision, or other vision problems; and eye pain or redness".

I experienced severe eye issues while on one of the original IPI trials 10mg/kg dose back in 2008.  At that time it wasn't a documented potential side effect.  I was treated by an Opthamologist with high dose steroids to reduce the swelling of the eye muscles that I was experiencing (blurry vision, redness, headache specifically located across my eye brows).  Others experienced eye issues but not the eye muscle swelling (see on a head MRI). In the Boston area, Opthamologist, Dr. Stephen Foster and his team treated me (www.mersi.com) in case your doctors need to refer to someone who has seen and treated this.

The good news is that after the battle of being on and then tapering off steroids, the eye issues subsided, IPI continued to work while on steroids and I ended up NED (since Feb 2009 !)  My vision is fine today…

Hang in there!

-Rocco

Rocco
                  Participant

"Uveitis" was the name of the other eye issue that some patients experienced.  This one was more common that the eye muscle swellling that I experienced.  

Dhva
                    Participant

Went to the ophthalmologist and it is acute anterior uvieitis in both eyes.  Have not heard from the oncologist, although the ophthalmologist reached out to them. Hopefully this resolves quickly.

Dhva
                      Participant

Thanks for the encouragement! It's acute anterior uvieitis,although some coworkers joked that it looked like zombie-itis.Ha!

Dhva
                      Participant

Thanks for the info.  The oncologist was notified,but has not set an appointment as he is saying it's just allergies.  Not comfortable with that and will be seeing an ophthalmologist later today . Hopefully we can figure out what is going on- and don't get on the bad side of the oncologist.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics