The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Leflunomide

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Leflunomide

• Replies
      Lkinnaman
      Participant

Hi Frank,

I've had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years and recently diagnosed with nodular melanoma on my forearm, microstage T4a, and have been on leflunomide for several years for the RA.

I specifically sought an oncologist who works with autoimmunity (for the RA) and melanoma. Luckily I have found the best doctor, Dr. Greg Daniels, here at UCSD and he agrees with this line of research.

Interestingly, my melanoma arose quickly when I was actually off leflunomide for about 4-5 months.

We never know what will work, but being proactive and informed is the best we can do.

Good luck!

Linda

Clara Paschitti
          Participant

I have a friend with melanoma and auto-immune disease (ankylosing spondylitis as well as a mild case of crohn's disease).  He is currently taking Sulfazine for both.  His  rheumatologist said he could switch to leflunomide, but he is worried about the risk of infection so he has not changed his medication.  His oncologist at Sloan Kettering is indifferent as to whether he should switch his arthritis medication to leflunomide since it's only been tested on animals.  Is there a melanoma network for patients with autoimmune disease.  It seems that most of the current treatments as well as experimental treatments are based on enhancing the autoimmune system which would cause a problem to these patients.  Also some of the drugs are difficult to tolerate if the patient also has crohn's disease (ie ipilimumab.      

jodywood
            Participant

I have been on 20mg Leflunomide for the past 1 month. So far – I have not noticed any side effects. It has improved the quality of my life in that I am not experiencing any pain. I will continue to monitor any side-effects over the next few months.

jodywood
              Participant

I have been on 20mg Leflunomide for the past 1 month. So far – I have not noticed any side effects. It has improved the quality of my life in that I am not experiencing any pain. I will continue to monitor any side-effects over the next few months.

jodywood
                Participant

Clara Paschitti
                  Participant

I have a friend with melanoma and auto-immune disease (ankylosing spondylitis as well as a mild case of crohn's disease).  He is currently taking Sulfazine for both.  His  rheumatologist said he could switch to leflunomide, but he is worried about the risk of infection so he has not changed his medication.  His oncologist at Sloan Kettering is indifferent as to whether he should switch his arthritis medication to leflunomide since it's only been tested on animals.  Is there a melanoma network for patients with autoimmune disease.  It seems that most of the current treatments as well as experimental treatments are based on enhancing the autoimmune system which would cause a problem to these patients.  Also some of the drugs are difficult to tolerate if the patient also has crohn's disease (ie ipilimumab.      

Lkinnaman
                  Participant

Hi Frank,

I've had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years and recently diagnosed with nodular melanoma on my forearm, microstage T4a, and have been on leflunomide for several years for the RA.

I specifically sought an oncologist who works with autoimmunity (for the RA) and melanoma. Luckily I have found the best doctor, Dr. Greg Daniels, here at UCSD and he agrees with this line of research.

Interestingly, my melanoma arose quickly when I was actually off leflunomide for about 4-5 months.

We never know what will work, but being proactive and informed is the best we can do.

Good luck!

Linda

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Interesting that it has also been tied to Zelboraf to increase it's effects.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 6 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics