The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

LDH level and Tumor Burden

Forums LDH level and Tumor Burden

Participant
      Hello Everyone,

How important is LDH level in getting a prognosis for metastatic melanoma? My Dad had LDH slightly above 1000 when spine bone mets were found. A week after the first radiation day (5 days total) the value had gone down to 450ish. Based on reading various things online that is still above normal but good to be below 1000.

Also, what is considered low vs high tumor burden? My dad has a small left lung lesion but multiple spine bone mets. The spine bone mets were treated with radiation more as a pallative treatment before deciding on any future treatments. It seemed like when only the left lung lesion was considered the treatment recommendations would have been given a higher chance to succeed (more recommended). Once the spine bone mets were found the two treatment options were only given 20% chance to help. Still working on a second and maybe third opinion.

-Evan, Peace and hugs to everyone

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Daisy2018
        Participant
          Hi there, I’m not sure about tumor burden and LDH results but what I do know is when my dad was looking like he was giving up his doctors were giving up on him. When he was showing that he wants to live and fight so did they. They were willing to go extra mile and would come with solutions to help him fight.
          I know you were saying he was pretty miserable. Did the radiation help with pain?
          How is his mood now?
          If you look at statistic of people with stage 4 prognosis is pretty grim. When you look here at how many people beat this thing you wonder maybe 20% is a good number.
            Daisy2018
            Participant
              Jimmy Carter was 91 y.o when he had brain and liver mets . He got radiation and immunotherapy and he got cured.
              Evan2027
              Participant
                Hi Daisy, thankyou for your message 🙂

His pain is getting better, still needs some pain medication but he doesn’t have 8-10 level pain when he moves the wrong way. The biggest problem with him now is that he is so out of it mentally, which we thought might be the pain meds/night time anxiety and sleep med. He can’t focus or make many decisions on his own, and we keep going over what his options are but hasn’t pushed to go any one way yet. His appetite is also pretty low, but he is still eating a medium breakfast and smaller meals. He uses the bathroom by himself still so that is a plus. I am driving back up to help my mom take care of him while we get a 2nd opinion hopefully middle of this week, and maybe his mental focus will start to get better as he takes less pain medication.

Daisy2018
                Participant
                  It’s most likely anxiety and pain meds try to wean him off of them if you can.. Push fluids if his heart will allow.
            Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics