The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

laying with cateter after SLNB, what is chance of lymphodema?

Forums General Melanoma Community laying with cateter after SLNB, what is chance of lymphodema?

Participant

Hi all, I recently was asking if I need SLNB, 1,5 mm MM, 26 years old. So I got 2 nodes removed from groin area today and also had wider cut made around the intial mole spot. What is my chance to get lymphodema? Can it be totally avoided? Now should I be moving my leg more or avoid much movements? 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

2 nodes removed i think lymphodema risk is very small

JC
          Participant

JC
            Participant

momof4boys
              Participant
                You wouldn’t get lymphadema with that as you still have a cluster of nodes working in that area. It is not until you remove them, clnd, that you could get it because there is no longer anything there to push that fluid out. It has no where to go, hence lymphadema.
                momof4boys
                Participant
                  You wouldn’t get lymphadema with that as you still have a cluster of nodes working in that area. It is not until you remove them, clnd, that you could get it because there is no longer anything there to push that fluid out. It has no where to go, hence lymphadema.
                  momof4boys
                  Participant
                    UBContributor
                    Participant

I never had a surgery before or met a person with removed lympnodes, so to me a removal of a part of body, however small they are, would show up now or later, no? How come u have your pieces removed and you see no consequence? This is why I am wondering…

Toby0987
                        Participant

I had 40+ lymph nodes removed from my right armpit and have never had lymphadema. I've heard that your body adapts.

Toby0987
                          Participant

I had 40+ lymph nodes removed from my right armpit and have never had lymphadema. I've heard that your body adapts.

Toby0987
                            Participant

UBContributor
                            Participant

I never had a surgery before or met a person with removed lympnodes, so to me a removal of a part of body, however small they are, would show up now or later, no? How come u have your pieces removed and you see no consequence? This is why I am wondering…

UBContributor
                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                Participant

Rest today, tomorrow and each day after move around more. The more you move around the less likely you are to form a seroma (fluid build up that usually happens on or around the scar, I had one for a few months after my groin SLNB). Unlikely you'll get lymphedema, so don't worry much about that. An SLNB is not a major surgery and having 2 lymph nodes removed out of a possible 15+ in that area isn't too bad. You have many more lymph nodes in your groin to help the lymph fluid flow and do what it needs to do. 

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

Rest today, tomorrow and each day after move around more. The more you move around the less likely you are to form a seroma (fluid build up that usually happens on or around the scar, I had one for a few months after my groin SLNB). Unlikely you'll get lymphedema, so don't worry much about that. An SLNB is not a major surgery and having 2 lymph nodes removed out of a possible 15+ in that area isn't too bad. You have many more lymph nodes in your groin to help the lymph fluid flow and do what it needs to do. 

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Aloha14
                                      Participant

I had 2 groin lymph nodes removed and three days later I had a lump form on my upper leg right under the incision. My surgeon didn't mention this might happen so it was sort of alarming. It was suggested that some of the fluid might leak out through the incision but it didn'tand the incision healed. Also, that as I moved around more the fluid would drain but it didn't.  And to use heat but that didn't do anything. I guess everyone's body is different but I still have the lump which my surgeon had ultrasounded to get a picture of it. I actually have three seromas. It's causing swelling below the seromas and putting pressure on my leg nerves/muscles. 

After requesting a few times my surgeon finally drained out the seromas (a month after the surgery) and I got a few hours of relief, but then these all filled up again. I'm waiting to see when I can have these drained again. 

Hopefully you won't have this happen but I did and I'll be glad when these disappear. 

Aloha14
                                        Participant

I had 2 groin lymph nodes removed and three days later I had a lump form on my upper leg right under the incision. My surgeon didn't mention this might happen so it was sort of alarming. It was suggested that some of the fluid might leak out through the incision but it didn'tand the incision healed. Also, that as I moved around more the fluid would drain but it didn't.  And to use heat but that didn't do anything. I guess everyone's body is different but I still have the lump which my surgeon had ultrasounded to get a picture of it. I actually have three seromas. It's causing swelling below the seromas and putting pressure on my leg nerves/muscles. 

After requesting a few times my surgeon finally drained out the seromas (a month after the surgery) and I got a few hours of relief, but then these all filled up again. I'm waiting to see when I can have these drained again. 

Hopefully you won't have this happen but I did and I'll be glad when these disappear. 

Aloha14
                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics