The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Latest X-Ray- Stage 3B Patient

Forums General Melanoma Community Latest X-Ray- Stage 3B Patient

Participant

Hello All,

Skipped a year but went for X-Ray and all came out clear for chest.  They switched me to X-Rays after many years of Ct & PET scans.  About 8 years ago, I set off radiation detectors after a PET at the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC on my way home.  Three police officers converged and I explained that I had a PET and I was released to go.

Stage 1A in 1999 and then progresed to stage 3B in 2004 with macro sized node in right axilla.  Had the surgery, radiation, and clinical trial with mel-43 vaccine (Dr Slinghoff from UVA) in Pittsburgh.

Lymphedema in right arm since then with limited mobility.

I feel very fortunate and am grateful to God for my good run but I know that follow ups will be endless with this disease.

My hope is that all new patients understand that even if one progresses (as I did), there are still options and hope for decent outomes.

Next on agenda is colonoscopy and cardio checkup and a diet to shed some weight.

My younger sister was recently treated for melanoma in-situ and I gave her bad advice but luckily Janner came to our rescue with sound and correct advice.  Thank you Janner.

Mike from New Jersey

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        stars
        Participant

That is great news about your xrays. Your post is probably good for Josh to read as he has also been warned of radiation dose build up with PET/CT. So funny (in a morbid way) that you set off those radiation detectors at a bus terminal!

I'm sorry that you were one of the few % of 1A pts who progress to 3B, but so grateful that you have posted with a good news update. All the best to you.

stars
          Participant

That is great news about your xrays. Your post is probably good for Josh to read as he has also been warned of radiation dose build up with PET/CT. So funny (in a morbid way) that you set off those radiation detectors at a bus terminal!

I'm sorry that you were one of the few % of 1A pts who progress to 3B, but so grateful that you have posted with a good news update. All the best to you.

stars
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

Good news, Mike.  Glad your sister is doing well, also!

JC
                  Participant

always scary to hear the stories of thin 1A's that progress to 3 or 4.  everyone says "low risk", "you're worrying too much," etc….  but then the examples like this.  glad for you.

Janner
                    Participant

Low risk is not NO risk.  But worrying doesn't solve any problems.  Worry if you progress, but why take away from life now if you are low risk?  The way the field is changing (in terms of treatment), worrying and keeping up with knowing what works now is useless because it might be obsolete in a few months.  Worry if you progress and research then what treatments are available IF THAT EVER HAPPENS.  Until then, live life.

Janner
                      Participant

Low risk is not NO risk.  But worrying doesn't solve any problems.  Worry if you progress, but why take away from life now if you are low risk?  The way the field is changing (in terms of treatment), worrying and keeping up with knowing what works now is useless because it might be obsolete in a few months.  Worry if you progress and research then what treatments are available IF THAT EVER HAPPENS.  Until then, live life.

Janner
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

And just so you understand, stage 1a when Mike was diagnosed is different from stage 1a now.  The club is more exclusive after adding mitosis as a staging criteria at the end of 2010.

Janner
                            Participant

And just so you understand, stage 1a when Mike was diagnosed is different from stage 1a now.  The club is more exclusive after adding mitosis as a staging criteria at the end of 2010.

Janner
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

always scary to hear the stories of thin 1A's that progress to 3 or 4.  everyone says "low risk", "you're worrying too much," etc….  but then the examples like this.  glad for you.

JC
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

Janner
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics