The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Knee Pain…

Forums General Melanoma Community Knee Pain…

Participant

Hey all. My husband just started having really bad knee pain behind his left knee. He's had some pain there before being diagnosed with melanoma. I'm wondering if the Opdivo/Yervoy is making it worse? He taking a low dose of Advil or Tylonel to help. Has anyone experienced this? Is it a side effect? Or is it the immunotherapy working on his bones. (His Melanoma is in his bone to some extent). Thanks. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        betsyl
        Participant

Yes, I believe joint pain is a common side effect. I think it's caused by inflammation. My husband has hip and knee pain from Keytruda. 🙁

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Inflammation and arthritis can be a side effect of immunotherapy meds. Definitely something to discuss with his oncologist. The first place I felt it take hold was at the site of an old neck injury. Docs can do some blood work to check his inflammation markers, and may want to get x-ray, CT, or MRI of his knee, for confirmation… or even just to rule out other possibilites. Advil is ibuprofin and will have anti-inflammatory effects if that is causing his pain. Naproxen (Aleve is one brand name) may be even more effective than Advil, but can sometimes be harder on the stomach. Inflammation aside, if his tumor was invading the bone, and the immuno combo begins to effectively shrink lesions…. he may feel some pain from that as well. 

Megara984
              Participant

Thank you both… now my next question… he is also sweating when he takes any of these (Advil or tylonel) any thoughts or ideas of what could be causing that? We have an oncologist appointment on Monday. So we'll be bringing a lot of this up. 

cancersnewnormal
                Participant

Huh. That's a new one for me. I've never heard of that issue before. I had to Google it. Not that Dr. Google is always equipping us with accurate answers, but I did find a site that lists both meds in the top 12 that can cause sweating. http://www.skincareguide.com/article/skin-conditions/other-conditions/12-medications-that-cause-excessive-sweating   Has he had this issue in the past? … prior to diagnosis?

Megara984
                  Participant

He did have nightsweats leading up to the diagnosis. But they stopped the minute he started immunotherapy. We think it might have something to do with his Spleen… that is the one organ aside from lymph nodes that's affected.

Nicklindner
                  Participant

My right knee really hurts for about 48-72 hours after my nivo infusion.  As others have said I believe this is a more common side effect. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics