The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Kidney Donor

Forums General Melanoma Community Kidney Donor

Participant

Hello,

I am Stage 3C and have been since July 2012.  Would being at this stage disqualify me from being a kdney donor?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Yes.  Organ donation for anyone with metastatic disease (Stage III/IV) isn't a good idea.  Your immune system may be keeping melanoma at bay, but if you donate the kidney to someone else, they need to take immunosuppressant drugs so THEIR immune system may not be able to handle any rogue cells.  Melanoma has shown up in recipients of organs from melanoma donors.  It used to be that organ donation was off limit for all stages, but organs are in such short supply that they have reconsidered for early stages.  Unfortunately, that doesn't include stage IIIC.

Wolverine
            Participant

I really appreciate your response.  Very helpful.

Wolverine
              Participant

Wolverine
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

Yes.  Organ donation for anyone with metastatic disease (Stage III/IV) isn't a good idea.  Your immune system may be keeping melanoma at bay, but if you donate the kidney to someone else, they need to take immunosuppressant drugs so THEIR immune system may not be able to handle any rogue cells.  Melanoma has shown up in recipients of organs from melanoma donors.  It used to be that organ donation was off limit for all stages, but organs are in such short supply that they have reconsidered for early stages.  Unfortunately, that doesn't include stage IIIC.

Janner
                  Participant

kylez
                    Participant

For these reasons (stage IV in my case) I got the donor designation removed on my driver's license. And I can't and shouldn't give blood either. Except for my clinical trial where it's tested before every cycle!

Wolverine
                        Participant

I did not know that either.  Thank you Kylez

Wolverine
                          Participant

Wolverine
                            Participant

kylez
                            Participant

For these reasons (stage IV in my case) I got the donor designation removed on my driver's license. And I can't and shouldn't give blood either. Except for my clinical trial where it's tested before every cycle!

kylez
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics