The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda work in Stage IV with high tumor burden?

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda work in Stage IV with high tumor burden?

Participant

Has anyone here with Stage IV and high tumor burden seen positive results with Keytruda? Thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

After the third dose the scan for me showed 19 of 30 tumors were shrinking. That was at mayo which had a detailed report. The 2nd scan was at Siteman which was vague and said some tumors had mild growth. I think I had about 7 doses then. Now I've had 16 doses and get the 3rd scan Monday where I'm hoping and praying for a miracle of nothing new and no growth but we shall see. So maybe that answers your question.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

After the third dose the scan for me showed 19 of 30 tumors were shrinking. That was at mayo which had a detailed report. The 2nd scan was at Siteman which was vague and said some tumors had mild growth. I think I had about 7 doses then. Now I've had 16 doses and get the 3rd scan Monday where I'm hoping and praying for a miracle of nothing new and no growth but we shall see. So maybe that answers your question.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Some other things to consider with high tumor burden is nutrition. Basically the simplest decent way is to eat as close to natural stuff as you can without preservatives. Nutrition feeds your cancer cells but your healthy cells need it too.

Also exercise is good too. If you can walk a few miles a day that would be great.

Other people have had what I would consider heavy tumor burden and are either NED or stable thanks to keytruda.

Good luck.

Artie

Jen P
                  Participant

Thanks Artie. My husband was on taf/Mek combo and it quit working after 3 months. Tumors spread aggressively to liver, sternum, lungs, 8th vertebrae and now brain. He's under WBR and had one infusion of Yervoy. Our onc is trying to switch him to Keytruda after 2 infusions of Yervoy as his Mel is so aggressive. I had read that patients with high tumor load don't typically respond to Keytruda. We've changed his diet as you mentioned above and takes numerous supplements but seems like nothing has helped since Mel is so aggressive. Just feeling like there isn't much hope and was wondering if by chance other people in this situation saw success with Keytruda.

Thanks,

Jen

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Wow. Sorry he is having to go through so much. I have heard of others like Eva and Laurie with lots of tumors and Keytruda took care of them. I remember Eva started keytruda a few weeks after me with stuff in liver head and all over and just 3 doses everything was pretty much way gone but everyone is different. But it takes time for immunotherapy meds to work. It sounds like his doc is trying his best doing radiation to head while on yervoy and getting to keytruda as fast as he can. I'm not sure what else can be done with standard meds. I'm not sure what trial med might help. Hopefully you folks can stay strong and positive and beat this. Good luck.

Artie

liberty04281
                      Participant
                        Hi Artie, how does the treatment with Keytruda last, how many infusions a person is suppose to get.
                        I know the treatment with Yervoy is four infusions. I hope you know the answer.
                        Good luck with your scan.
                        liberty04281
                        Participant
                          Hi Artie, how does the treatment with Keytruda last, how many infusions a person is suppose to get.
                          liberty04281
                          Participant
                            arthurjedi007
                            Participant

I don't think even the docs know that answer. Some folks on the original trials that was supposed to be 24 months have continued with no end date. I would think if a person is lucky enough that it is working then to stay on it. Some people went NED and stopped only to start it again because the disease came back. For me I nolonger have even the mild side affects so staying on it is easy. I just hope today's scan shows it is wise for me to continue on it. I'm quite scared about that.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

I don't think even the docs know that answer. Some folks on the original trials that was supposed to be 24 months have continued with no end date. I would think if a person is lucky enough that it is working then to stay on it. Some people went NED and stopped only to start it again because the disease came back. For me I nolonger have even the mild side affects so staying on it is easy. I just hope today's scan shows it is wise for me to continue on it. I'm quite scared about that.

Artie

Jen P
                                Participant

Prayers for great scans, Artie!  Let us know how it goes!

Jen

Jen P
                                  Participant

Jen

Jen P
                                    Participant

Jen

liberty04281
                                      Participant
                                        I know the feeling
                                        liberty04281
                                        Participant
                                          I know the feeling
                                          liberty04281
                                          Participant
                                            I know the feeling
                                            arthurjedi007
                                            Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

Wow. Sorry he is having to go through so much. I have heard of others like Eva and Laurie with lots of tumors and Keytruda took care of them. I remember Eva started keytruda a few weeks after me with stuff in liver head and all over and just 3 doses everything was pretty much way gone but everyone is different. But it takes time for immunotherapy meds to work. It sounds like his doc is trying his best doing radiation to head while on yervoy and getting to keytruda as fast as he can. I'm not sure what else can be done with standard meds. I'm not sure what trial med might help. Hopefully you folks can stay strong and positive and beat this. Good luck.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                Participant

Artie

Jen P
                                                  Participant

Thanks Artie. My husband was on taf/Mek combo and it quit working after 3 months. Tumors spread aggressively to liver, sternum, lungs, 8th vertebrae and now brain. He's under WBR and had one infusion of Yervoy. Our onc is trying to switch him to Keytruda after 2 infusions of Yervoy as his Mel is so aggressive. I had read that patients with high tumor load don't typically respond to Keytruda. We've changed his diet as you mentioned above and takes numerous supplements but seems like nothing has helped since Mel is so aggressive. Just feeling like there isn't much hope and was wondering if by chance other people in this situation saw success with Keytruda.

Thanks,

Jen

Jen P
                                                    Participant

Thanks,

Jen

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Some other things to consider with high tumor burden is nutrition. Basically the simplest decent way is to eat as close to natural stuff as you can without preservatives. Nutrition feeds your cancer cells but your healthy cells need it too.

Also exercise is good too. If you can walk a few miles a day that would be great.

Other people have had what I would consider heavy tumor burden and are either NED or stable thanks to keytruda.

Good luck.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                        Participant

Good luck.

Artie

sweetaugust
                                                        Participant

Hi Jen P!

Artie is right….I had what I think is a high tumor burden.  My melanoma had spread to several nodes in my left arm pit, several nodes in my right arm pit, several nodes behind my chestwall plate, several nodes wrapped around my heart, and a mass on my liver.  After 3 months on Keytruda, all of that responded and went away except for one larger node in my right arm pit…that one doubled in size.  But finally at 6 months on Keytruda that bad node finally blew up and died.  I have been on Keytruda for 2.5 years now and am scheduled to be on if forever, according to my drug trial.  All is looking great for me.  I am totally healthy and living a more organic, natural lifestyle to help my immune system stay strong.

All my best to you, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                          Participant

Hi Jen P!

Artie is right….I had what I think is a high tumor burden.  My melanoma had spread to several nodes in my left arm pit, several nodes in my right arm pit, several nodes behind my chestwall plate, several nodes wrapped around my heart, and a mass on my liver.  After 3 months on Keytruda, all of that responded and went away except for one larger node in my right arm pit…that one doubled in size.  But finally at 6 months on Keytruda that bad node finally blew up and died.  I have been on Keytruda for 2.5 years now and am scheduled to be on if forever, according to my drug trial.  All is looking great for me.  I am totally healthy and living a more organic, natural lifestyle to help my immune system stay strong.

sweetaugust
                                                            Participant

Hi Jen P!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics