The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda/stage 4 questions for starting a family

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda/stage 4 questions for starting a family

Participant
      If you haven’t read any of my posts before my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma found via a small bump on the side of his abdomen that wasn’t healing. He’s had another melanoma on his neck years ago but never needed anything except wide local excision. He’s made it through the first set of scans last month which showed very little of concern. Dr plans to keep him on Keytruda every 3 weeks for 2 years. We also want to expand out family. We have a 1 year old daughter who was 8 months at the time of his diagnosis. And I always wanted children close in age. But at this juncture does it make more sense to wait until Keytruda is over or not? We certainly have enough to worry about with keeping my husband healthy but when does he get the green light to keep growing our family?

Holly

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Have you reviewed the full prescribing details and/or spoken to your doctor? This link says men can father children while on it and should wait until at least four months after. There are also several threads here.

https://www.oncolink.org/cancer-treatment/oncolink-rx/pembrolizumab-keytruda-r

Coragirl
          Participant
            First, I think it’s wonderful that you are thinking of the future! That means your anxiety is easing and that makes me feel so happy for you. One of the first things my husband’s oncologist told us when he started treatment with Opdivo was use birth control while he is receiving treatment. I’m not sure how long you would need to wait after treatment or if you need to wait at all, I would discuss this with the oncologist.

MarkR
            Participant
              Hi
              I’m afraid we were told about birth control as well. There have been no studies into the impact of these drugs on pregnancies and new children so it would potentially come with a risk of issues that are unknown. Best to discuss with your Dr
              Best wishes
              Mark
              lindy303
              Participant
                Hi Holly,
                Of course, I would speak with your husband’s oncologist. Studies have only been done in monkeys, but the drug does cross the placenta and could cause fetal harm, with unknown risk. It’s recommended to use birth control during treatment and at least 4 months after last dose.
                Best wishes to you and your family,
                Linda
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics