The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda/Peg Interferon Clinical Trail

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda/Peg Interferon Clinical Trail

Participant

Hello. 

My husband is participating in a clinical trial which includes Keytruda and PEG interferon.  Does anybody have experience with this drug combination?    My husband will bear anything to survive however, I feel it necessary to question interferons effectiveness.  My husband has been sweating profusely since starting the interferon treatment. Is this a normal side effect?  Should we consider omitting or reducing the amount of PEG?

Does anybody have any experience similar or possible information to be shared?  Any input related to PEG interferon and Keytruda combination would be helpful.  

Thanks for the support,

Jenine

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        WithinMySkin
        Participant

Hi Jenine,

I don't have experience with this combination, but I have been on PEG interferon and Nivo in separate treatments. I haven't heard of this trial – is he self injecting the interferon at the same time as receiving Keytruda?

I didn't experience profuse sweating, but I did have sudden intermittant fevers and hot flashes on Interferon. I could be totally normal and then have a 102 degree fever within 5 minutes. Because of this, I constantly had a thermometer and tylenol at the ready. Interferon does cause all kinds of side effects, and you should definitely bring this up with his oncologist before you change any dosing. If he changes his dosing without asking the doc, he may be excluded from the trial. So talk to the doc first!

My most dramatic side effect with Interferon was the fuzzy memory and complete lack of energy…one time, I couldn't even remember my parent's address, and they've lived there for 15 years. It was incredibly frustrating and embarrassing and day-to-day tasks became incredibly difficult. There's a huge list of possible side effects with the drug, and if sweating is the worst of it and he's feeling OK, then he seems to be handling it well!

I wish you and your husband all the best with his trial!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
          Participant

Hi Jenine,

I don't have experience with this combination, but I have been on PEG interferon and Nivo in separate treatments. I haven't heard of this trial – is he self injecting the interferon at the same time as receiving Keytruda?

I didn't experience profuse sweating, but I did have sudden intermittant fevers and hot flashes on Interferon. I could be totally normal and then have a 102 degree fever within 5 minutes. Because of this, I constantly had a thermometer and tylenol at the ready. Interferon does cause all kinds of side effects, and you should definitely bring this up with his oncologist before you change any dosing. If he changes his dosing without asking the doc, he may be excluded from the trial. So talk to the doc first!

My most dramatic side effect with Interferon was the fuzzy memory and complete lack of energy…one time, I couldn't even remember my parent's address, and they've lived there for 15 years. It was incredibly frustrating and embarrassing and day-to-day tasks became incredibly difficult. There's a huge list of possible side effects with the drug, and if sweating is the worst of it and he's feeling OK, then he seems to be handling it well!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
            Participant

Hi Jenine,

Lauren

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics