The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

keytruda cross blood-brain barrier

Forums General Melanoma Community keytruda cross blood-brain barrier

Participant

Does anyone know if Keytruda crosses the blood-brain barrier?  

Thanks for your help!

Tricia

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant

Sorry for what's going on…hate it. I'm not all that knowledgeable on Keytruda but based on what I've read, it does cross blood brain barrier. Hang in there…options are available!

Josh

JoshF
          Participant

Sorry for what's going on…hate it. I'm not all that knowledgeable on Keytruda but based on what I've read, it does cross blood brain barrier. Hang in there…options are available!

Josh

triciad
              Participant

Thanks Josh…I'm gonna try!!!

triciad
                Participant

triciad
                  Participant

JoshF
                  Participant

Josh

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Yes and no. Celeste has a gazillion articles on her blog.

Basically if I remember right it doesn't have to. The keytruda and opdivo pd1 float around until they detect a white blood cell. Then it attaches and dissolves the pd1 protein. Now that is an activated tcell. It floats around all over including the brain. Hopefully it then detects the cancer cells it was blinded by before and no more tumor.

When I was on keytruda I had one of three tumors pressing on my brain radiated. Kind of odd the two non radiated virtually disappeared which was wonderful. Unfortunately I've still got the radiated one.

But you should get a head MRI now if you haven't cause if they are there and caught early it's usually easier to gamma knife or something.

Artie

triciad
                        Participant

Artie,

Thanks again for the wonderful advice.  I'm so happy to hear that the two disappeared, and I pray the last one will go away, too.  

I thought the same thing about the brain MRI.  I was surprised my doctor did not send me for one.  My old oncologist did.  I will ask tomorrow.  I'm much rather catch it while I can.

Blessings to you,

Tricia

triciad
                          Participant

Artie,

Thanks again for the wonderful advice.  I'm so happy to hear that the two disappeared, and I pray the last one will go away, too.  

I thought the same thing about the brain MRI.  I was surprised my doctor did not send me for one.  My old oncologist did.  I will ask tomorrow.  I'm much rather catch it while I can.

Blessings to you,

Tricia

triciad
                            Participant

Artie,

Blessings to you,

Tricia

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Basically if I remember right it doesn't have to. The keytruda and opdivo pd1 float around until they detect a white blood cell. Then it attaches and dissolves the pd1 protein. Now that is an activated tcell. It floats around all over including the brain. Hopefully it then detects the cancer cells it was blinded by before and no more tumor.

When I was on keytruda I had one of three tumors pressing on my brain radiated. Kind of odd the two non radiated virtually disappeared which was wonderful. Unfortunately I've still got the radiated one.

But you should get a head MRI now if you haven't cause if they are there and caught early it's usually easier to gamma knife or something.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                                Participant

Hi Tricia,

Sorry for all that you are going through.  Artie had it right.  Here is a post that gives an overview of how anti-PD1 (be it Nivo/Opdivo or Pembro/Keytruda) work:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/anti-pd1-in-melanoma-t-cells-brain-and.html

There is a great deal more related info on my blog….if you are interested…just use the search bubble in the top left corner.

I want to echo what Mat said in your previous post…I don't think you need to make radical decisions just yet.  You have only had one anti-Pd1 infusion.  Give it a minute and see what happens.  I worked throughout my 2 1/2 years on Nivo/Opdivo…although my situation was not nearly as complicated as yours.  For those issues, I would completely rely on Artie…he is an amazing guy and a personal hero of mine, having dealt with way more than his fair share of areas of metastasis and pain.

My daugher is a teacher.  You are a special breed and I suspect I know what you are thinking on behalf of your students.  Take a minute.  Maybe think about making a work decision around Christmas or Spring break? That would give you time to assess your response to anti-PD1 and any side effects related to the med or your tumor burden.  Hang in there.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

triciad
                                    Participant

Celeste,

Your blog is AMAZING!!! Kuddos to you for your knowlege and dedication to share this incredible information.  

I'm happy to hear that you worked through a similar treatment.  I'm going to give it my best shot.  I just don't want to let my little cherubs (or their families) down.  Hopefully, after my 4th infusion, I will have positive results and I will laugh at all of the dark places my mind has traveled over the past few days!

Thank God I have all of you to shine some light and help me through the dark spots.

In the thunderstorm of life…you all are life's rainbows!  My sincerest thanks!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                      Participant

Celeste,

Your blog is AMAZING!!! Kuddos to you for your knowlege and dedication to share this incredible information.  

I'm happy to hear that you worked through a similar treatment.  I'm going to give it my best shot.  I just don't want to let my little cherubs (or their families) down.  Hopefully, after my 4th infusion, I will have positive results and I will laugh at all of the dark places my mind has traveled over the past few days!

Thank God I have all of you to shine some light and help me through the dark spots.

In the thunderstorm of life…you all are life's rainbows!  My sincerest thanks!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                        Participant

Celeste,

Tricia

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Hi Tricia,

Sorry for all that you are going through.  Artie had it right.  Here is a post that gives an overview of how anti-PD1 (be it Nivo/Opdivo or Pembro/Keytruda) work:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/anti-pd1-in-melanoma-t-cells-brain-and.html

There is a great deal more related info on my blog….if you are interested…just use the search bubble in the top left corner.

I want to echo what Mat said in your previous post…I don't think you need to make radical decisions just yet.  You have only had one anti-Pd1 infusion.  Give it a minute and see what happens.  I worked throughout my 2 1/2 years on Nivo/Opdivo…although my situation was not nearly as complicated as yours.  For those issues, I would completely rely on Artie…he is an amazing guy and a personal hero of mine, having dealt with way more than his fair share of areas of metastasis and pain.

My daugher is a teacher.  You are a special breed and I suspect I know what you are thinking on behalf of your students.  Take a minute.  Maybe think about making a work decision around Christmas or Spring break? That would give you time to assess your response to anti-PD1 and any side effects related to the med or your tumor burden.  Hang in there.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Hi Tricia,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics