The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda and low white blood cells- anyone else?

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda and low white blood cells- anyone else?

Participant

I am wondering if anyone out there has had low white blood cells on Keytruda?  I couldn't receive my dose of Keytruda this last week because my WBC was too low.  I have struggled with low WBC since I have been on Keytruda since October 2015. 

My doctor at Mayo said a very rare side of Keytruda is that the T-cells not only attack the melanoma, but they also attack the neutrophils and destroy them faster than my bone marrow can make them.  In December they were concerned the cancer had spread to my bones because of my white blood cell counts, however my bones are clear.

they are going to test my blood again on Wednesday to see if I can get another infusion.  Help, has anyone had this?  What are my options if PD1 turns my own immune system against itself, not only attacking the Melanoma(I have partial response to Keytruda) but also attacking the white blood cells.   

Thanks for your help!!

Allyson

brain, lung and small intestine mets

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        mandyscotty
        Participant

My cousin also is suffering from the low white blood cells. so he is very easy to be infected by bacterias. I will ask him for some information if necessary and helpful.

AllysonRuth
            Participant

Thanks.  I'll look forward to the information. 

Allyson

AllysonRuth
              Participant

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                Participant

Allyson

mandyscotty
                Participant

My cousin also is suffering from the low white blood cells. so he is very easy to be infected by bacterias. I will ask him for some information if necessary and helpful.

mandyscotty
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics