The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda and itching

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda and itching

Participant
      Hello Keytruda peeps. After spending nearly 2 yrs on Keytruda I have been off the drug for nearly 13 weeks. I know that side effects can last for up to a yr. I currently have uncontrolled itching. Was given Hydroxyzine doesn’t even touch it. Lotions not touching it. Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Is the itching all over or just in certain areas? Have you tried a prescription steroid topical ointment? If nothing you've tried is working and it's really uncomfortable then you might ask your doc for a steroid pill instead of the antihistamine you've tried.

Bradley75
          Participant

My derm prescribed Betamethasone Dipropionate 0.05% cream and it works like a charm.  It takes it away in a few hours.

dawn dion
              Participant
                I will see if they will do that. Yes it is all over. Ive delt with various aches and pains from this but the itching makes me want to lose my mind
                jennunicorn
                Participant

If it's all over then a cream or ointment won't be much help, having to cover your body in it is a bit much. Colloidal oatmeal baths help me when I am itching all over, along with tea tree essential oil added to an oatmeal lotion, for the bath and lotion I use Aveeno brand. But, definitely ask your doc about a steroid prescription if it's unbearable. 

dawn dion
                  Participant
                    Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that tomorrow.
                    GonzoOne
                    Participant

Another cream that works about 6 hours is called Triamcinolone. It's inexpensive and if you apply directly on the itch area (which with me is nearly 70% of the body) then you get excellent relief for about 4 hours, after which the itching returns lightly. I use it twice a day. Morning and evening. This itching could last a year after treatments and it has proved difficult to get the oncologist and others in the med field to understand just how intensive it is. I recommended to our oncologist that he take a few infusions. That way maybe someone in the industry will be motivated to design a no-itch Keytruda. P.S. Don't believe all the hype Keytruda advertises. Most of it is B.S.

LHiner50
                    Participant

Hello Keytruda peep –  I've had three Keytruda treatments and won't be having any more.  Have a pretty bad case of eczema on legs, arms and back due to the treatment.  By the recommendation of the dermatologist I have been using CeraVe exzema body wash followed by CeraVe moisturizing lotion.  This seems to keep the itching tolerable.  A friend gave me an aloe plant.  Going to try the gel from that.  Also have elevated pancreas levels.  My oncologist wants me to start on steroids for both issues – been there done that before.  If labs are not better next week, I'll have to give in and start.  Glad you were able to stay on Keytruda so long.  Hope you can find a cure for the ichies.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics