The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda

Participant
      Hope everyone is doing ok, difficult times to say the least. Well , I’m going get first shot soon. If this drug works what is the average time you see results. First, second or third sessions? Anyone can share their experience or has some knowledge of the effects would be greatly appreciated..
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          As single agents keytruda (pembrolizumab) and opdivo (nivolizumab) – both anti-PD-1 agents – have pretty much identical response rates and side effect profiles. So any replies to side effects or response rates of Opdivo can be assumed to be similar for Keytruda and vice versa. Yervoy (ipi, or ipililumab) is the bad boy in the melanoma immunotherapy world with a decreased response rate when given as a single agent and with similar but more frequent and profound side effects. Overall for any immunotherapy, or combo of immunotherapies, the average time to response is roughly 3 months. However, your mileage may vary! Documented responses have occurred as late as 6 – 10 months after starting infusions. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/02/time-to-responseipi-vs-nivo-and-ipi.html

Hope that helps. celeste

sandyd77
            Participant
              Hello,

My husband had Opdivo (very similar to Keytruda) infusions for 10 months. He had a mixed response to it – some reductions in tumors, some growth and tolerated it quite well. Fatigue and rash. Rash really did not get bothersome until after 6 months and was treated with steroids and over the counter cortisone cream. His doctor has switched him to targeted therapy (Taflinar and Mekinist) since he is BRAF positive and we are already seeing some positive results (very happy about that). Good luck with your treatment – I hope it goes smoothly for you and you get a good response!

Sandy

caman
              Participant
                Thank you Sandy, I read about husband battle. He sounds like a great person and so are you. Keep battling, but also remember to enjoy life. The worst part of this ordeal its so unpredictable. Hope it turns for the best for you guys.
                caman
                Participant
                  Thank you celeste as always!!
                Tsvetochka
                Participant
                  I had 11 doses of Keytruda and an almost complete response. I’m hoping that my scan at the end of this month will show that it’s now complete. 🙂

With the first few doses there is often “false progression.” It gets worse before it gets better; the cancer might grow a little. Mine seemed to. But then by my first scan, after dose #3, all my tumours were 50% smaller!

caman
                    Participant
                      Thank you!!. Just got my first dose yesterday and checking on the lump on my neck every hour. Its freaking nuts. Gotta give it more time. Appreciate your reply, hope the best for you.
                      Rescumom1
                      Participant
                        I’m so happy that you mentioned the false progression! Cuz not many people know that about keytruda! When I started it it had just came out so they didn’t know much about it! This was prob 5 years ago! But I had just read about that it can get worse. Before it gets better and that’s exactly what happened to me! At first my oncologist considered taking me off it but I told him what I had read and asked him to let me stay on it longer and see! Sure enough it got better and better! I came off it after three years cuz of how well it worked! However 9 months later it returned so I’m back on it and had a large tumor removed from my abdomen but now we are thinking of going back off it! So this is to anyone who is starting keytruda! This treatnent is a game changer! The only side effects I have is itching and skin testers! Wondering if anyone else is dealing with it! I just hope it goes away after treatment! Thanks for your post again and hearing your positive news!!
                  Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics