The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda – 32nd Infussion – Malabsorption Syndrome??

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda – 32nd Infussion – Malabsorption Syndrome??

Participant

Hi All,

Well up until infusion #32 all has gone great, but with #32 my Mom suddenly had a lot of issues with diarrhea and vomiting (intermittent). The doctors have ruled out colitis, micro-colitis and a host of parasites, bacteria and viral infections. They did find that she has a yeast infection in her esophagus. – She's not been able to consistently control the diarrhea and the vomiting has been here one day, gone for a few and rages back with lots of diarrhea…

Removing raw veggies, fruits and lactose hasn't worked and she's back in the hospital while they try to figure it out.  It's all very strange, has gone on for over 2 weeks and my Mom has lost 17lbs.  The idea of medication induced malabsorption syndrome is just 24 hours old (along the lines of what I've been saying – she just isn't keeping anything down), but enzymes haven't worked since she started them.

Anyone ever had any issues like this or hear of any?  My active 81 year old Mom is weak and is going to hate being the hospital while they figure this out, but it is the best place for her.

Thanks!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I was thinking about her when I was on campus last week for follow ups with docs. Curious if docs have checked her for the potential of widespread yeast infection. If viral and bacterial tests are coming back clear, but the throat has shown candida….. Do they have her on an antifungal medication for her esophageal issue? 

"Esophageal candidiasis develops when candida from the mouth extends farther into the GI tract. Like oral thrush, the sores make eating painful, which can lead to anorexia and malnutrition. If the infection spreads to the bowel, it can cause abdominal distress, bloating, ulceration, and even perforation."

Having followed what she's been through with melanoma, I know your mom is one tough cookie. Please pass along my well wishes to her. 

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

On an additional note…. although "rare in adults" on a naturally occurring basis, autoimmune enteropathy will cause the kinds of symptoms you describe. PD1 has been shown to cause "prominent epithelial apoptosis", which could lead to enteropathy.

The unfortunate side of being early adopters (outside of "hand selected" qualified trial patients) of these anti PD1 drugs… is that we are the new learning curve of side effect possibilites. So, although things may not be common in the general population, they could be of greater percentage in immuno treated patients. Adding fuel to the fire, these "oddball" autoimmune side effects have become known for their ability to test and behave differently than the naturally occurring forms of the same diseases. I get the sense that a lot of doctors are left shaking their heads when trying to nail down what these new issues are, and how best to treat them without doing collateral damage in other areas!

Elagergren
              Participant

Hi. I recognize this is an old post. But did anyone ever find an answer to the weight loss?? My mom is having similar problems??

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics