The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

KatyWI

Participant

I hope I am not overstepping proper protocol but I had noticed KatyWI had not been active on the board for a while.  Sadly, she passed away Friday, March 16th.  I was in email contact with Katy on occasion being that we live in such close proximity.  She had completed the WI Ironman on September 11th with the proceeds going to MRF and her positive attitude about life just struck a cord with me.

I hope I am not overstepping proper protocol but I had noticed KatyWI had not been active on the board for a while.  Sadly, she passed away Friday, March 16th.  I was in email contact with Katy on occasion being that we live in such close proximity.  She had completed the WI Ironman on September 11th with the proceeds going to MRF and her positive attitude about life just struck a cord with me. So hard to believe in just 6 months someone can go from the success of completing the grueling test of endurance of an Ironman to succumbing to this beast.  I have such a heavy heart and my prayers are with her family.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Thanks for posting, I have been thinking of Katy and wondering how she was since she hadn’t posted lately. This loss is so tough, she was so positive and inspirational about living each moment to the fullest. I was so impressed with her attitude, so proud as she competed in the Ironman competition as a stage IV melanoma warrior and earning money for the cause to boot! My heart is also very heavy tonight with this news, so many terrific people are lost to this disease. Her family are in our thoughts and prayers! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
          Phil S
          Participant
            Thanks for posting, I have been thinking of Katy and wondering how she was since she hadn’t posted lately. This loss is so tough, she was so positive and inspirational about living each moment to the fullest. I was so impressed with her attitude, so proud as she competed in the Ironman competition as a stage IV melanoma warrior and earning money for the cause to boot! My heart is also very heavy tonight with this news, so many terrific people are lost to this disease. Her family are in our thoughts and prayers! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
            Phil S
            Participant
              lhaley
              Participant

Thank you for posting.  I think that the last time Katy posted she was still looking for a trial but kept finding that she was being turned down because of the number of brain mets and the leptomengial mets.

Katy will be missed by all of us that have been on this board for awhile.  Such a strong women and gave us all so much support. I am so sorry for her family.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Thank you for posting.  I think that the last time Katy posted she was still looking for a trial but kept finding that she was being turned down because of the number of brain mets and the leptomengial mets.

Katy will be missed by all of us that have been on this board for awhile.  Such a strong women and gave us all so much support. I am so sorry for her family.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

aldakota22
                    Participant

Being recent to this select club never knew KatyWi  but from what i read she was a remakable lady.So sorry for the worlds and her familys loss.Too soon.  Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Being recent to this select club never knew KatyWi  but from what i read she was a remakable lady.So sorry for the worlds and her familys loss.Too soon.  Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

triciad
                          Participant

All I can say is that my heart is broken.  What a fighter…what spirit…what a positive attitude.  To her many friends and family members, my deepest sympathies.  RIP Katy!

Tricia

triciad
                            Participant

All I can say is that my heart is broken.  What a fighter…what spirit…what a positive attitude.  To her many friends and family members, my deepest sympathies.  RIP Katy!

Tricia

triciad
                              Participant

Tricia

MeNDave
                                Participant

I have also wondered how she was doing.  She was an amazing woman, and I'll miss her posts – she had that "never give up" attitude.  My prayers are also with her family.

RIP Katy.  You'll be missed.

MeNDave
                                  Participant

I have also wondered how she was doing.  She was an amazing woman, and I'll miss her posts – she had that "never give up" attitude.  My prayers are also with her family.

MeNDave
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics