The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

just wondering

Forums General Melanoma Community just wondering

Participant

hi,

I only come on once and awhile.  But it  seemed to me that  since this site has changed there are a lot less postings  on the topic side.  I wondered is it the "new" site and format that is moving people away?  Are people now moving on a to another site?  OR is it just the way things go people write a lot for awhile then it the questions and answers go quiet for awhile?  Just wondering…..

laurie from maine

hi,

I only come on once and awhile.  But it  seemed to me that  since this site has changed there are a lot less postings  on the topic side.  I wondered is it the "new" site and format that is moving people away?  Are people now moving on a to another site?  OR is it just the way things go people write a lot for awhile then it the questions and answers go quiet for awhile?  Just wondering…..

laurie from maine

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

no.. I think you are right, there are far less posts on the off topic board than in previous times.your

Some of it is just that, some members got lost in the transition. All of the registering, and clickclick clicking. you have to click your way through so much just to post something. It's harder to post.

But it's up to the regular members to make it work if they want to.

Maybe some folks are just ready to let loose of this site, especially the softer side.

Plus..the loss of the Darkside. That board was pretty unique, and gave people an outlet for their anger and sadness that is not so appropriate on the off topic board. They used to call this the 'hearts and flowers' board, which I never quite understood I guess. Many of the darkside posters also posted here, maybe with different names.

Maybe with the change, came a feeling that this really IS a site run by an organization (which is has been for a long time) and that has kind of put a blanket on the cameraderie of the past. For some people, that loss is too hard to bear on top of all the OTHER losses.

I don't believe a bunch of people have gone off to other sites. Just drifted from this one. That happens. There are a LOT of things to do in this life and world, and I believe that most of us have some limited amount of 'online time' and that sometimes one form of 'online time' might take you away from another.

As this site becomes less interesting, one person might start spending extra time on ..say..facebook, or a different board or blog that has caught their attention. or some gaming site, or youtube..who knows. Then you have less and less time to come here.

This place is not what it once was for me. It's more and more difficult for me to read the sadness on the main board. I feel my own mortality, and want to spend my time playing music and living in my real life. Many of my favorite and most colorful posters have disappeared from here, or died. Or they are playing Scrabble online or something.

dian in spokane
          Participant

no.. I think you are right, there are far less posts on the off topic board than in previous times.your

Some of it is just that, some members got lost in the transition. All of the registering, and clickclick clicking. you have to click your way through so much just to post something. It's harder to post.

But it's up to the regular members to make it work if they want to.

Maybe some folks are just ready to let loose of this site, especially the softer side.

Plus..the loss of the Darkside. That board was pretty unique, and gave people an outlet for their anger and sadness that is not so appropriate on the off topic board. They used to call this the 'hearts and flowers' board, which I never quite understood I guess. Many of the darkside posters also posted here, maybe with different names.

Maybe with the change, came a feeling that this really IS a site run by an organization (which is has been for a long time) and that has kind of put a blanket on the cameraderie of the past. For some people, that loss is too hard to bear on top of all the OTHER losses.

I don't believe a bunch of people have gone off to other sites. Just drifted from this one. That happens. There are a LOT of things to do in this life and world, and I believe that most of us have some limited amount of 'online time' and that sometimes one form of 'online time' might take you away from another.

As this site becomes less interesting, one person might start spending extra time on ..say..facebook, or a different board or blog that has caught their attention. or some gaming site, or youtube..who knows. Then you have less and less time to come here.

This place is not what it once was for me. It's more and more difficult for me to read the sadness on the main board. I feel my own mortality, and want to spend my time playing music and living in my real life. Many of my favorite and most colorful posters have disappeared from here, or died. Or they are playing Scrabble online or something.

BillMFl
            Participant

N. othing lasts for ever.  Like dian said, many of us migrated from the main board to the DS just to get away from the non stop serious subject matter. And we sure did blow off steam. It was an interesting mix of personalities and no topic was sacred. But even Sienfeld ran out of topics and so did we.

Bonnie Lea
                Participant

ya but we can still maintain a 'keeping in touch' thing here.  I think that the main board is very hard to take sometimes, but this board can be fun we like Dian says must just try to keep it up.  Maybe someone somewhere will form a sort of Darkside and maybe then the people will spill over to here.

I miss the banter.  But I tell you when the chips are down in our lives, so many people here are at the call ready willing and able to smarten us up.  (it happened to me recently, I felt I was so far down in that hold of self pity, which is not at all like me)  that I needed to have a GIANT CRANE just to lift me up to the light. 

These guys here, did it.  I will never forget it. 

Bonnie Lea

TinaR
                  Participant

A new Darkside would be great. Don't think it will happen.

TinaR
                    Participant

A new Darkside would be great. Don't think it will happen.

Bonnie Lea
                      Participant

ya but we can still maintain a 'keeping in touch' thing here.  I think that the main board is very hard to take sometimes, but this board can be fun we like Dian says must just try to keep it up.  Maybe someone somewhere will form a sort of Darkside and maybe then the people will spill over to here.

I miss the banter.  But I tell you when the chips are down in our lives, so many people here are at the call ready willing and able to smarten us up.  (it happened to me recently, I felt I was so far down in that hold of self pity, which is not at all like me)  that I needed to have a GIANT CRANE just to lift me up to the light. 

These guys here, did it.  I will never forget it. 

Bonnie Lea

BillMFl
                      Participant

N. othing lasts for ever.  Like dian said, many of us migrated from the main board to the DS just to get away from the non stop serious subject matter. And we sure did blow off steam. It was an interesting mix of personalities and no topic was sacred. But even Sienfeld ran out of topics and so did we.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics