The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just saying hello

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Just saying hello

Hi Everyone,

I've been off the board for a while.  

I've struggled with wanting my spouse to understand but he can't because he isn't in my shoes.   

Physically I'm doing OK.  Melanoma and the treatment have changed me.  I have some limitations which I didn't have prior.  I wasn't expecting that.  I thought it was either I'd be dead or I'd survive and get back to my life.  I didn't envision that I'd survive and be physically limited or that I would have to change my life, or give things up to survive.

The new mental challenge is when to stop Opdivo.  Stopping too early means risking another brain met, but I can't stay on it forever.  The next set of scans will determine if we maybe stop in April.  That's great news but it comes with a case of the "what ifs" and a new set of anxiety.  There's a feeling of safety being on it – it's killed the beast and is keeping it at bay.  

Thirteen years ago I went to that feeling of safety.  The suspicous mole was out.  The margins were clear.  I was safe.  (Not really but the docs and I thought I was)  Ten years of moles screens and follow up appointments and all was good.  Then it wasn't good.  It was really, really bad.  You all know the story.  I'm lucky.  Treatment worked.  Sure there were some bumps in the road but I'm still here.  Now it's on to the new future – whatever that is.  

I don't have any words of wisdom for you and I'm not looking for advice.  Just thanks to you all for listening and sending good wishes to you.  This community is great and I appreciate you.  Dying is easy.  Living is hard.  Choose the more difficult path because you are great and even though cancer may change you we all still love you.

Good wishes to you and hang in there with me,

Jennifer

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Replies
      BillB
      Participant

Hi Jenn, deciding to stop is a very hard decision. I’m going through the same process right now. My oncologist won’t make me stop but they recommend that I can. It’s very difficult getting my brain to agree with the doctors, even though I understand where they are coming from. My plan is to stretch the next two treatments to six weeks, the following to three months, and then stop. It will be two years on treatment at that point. Still nervous about it but it’s my plan. Good luck with your decision.

Bill

MelanomaMike
        Participant

Hi Jen, long see no time! iv been MIA as well, my "glands" have been acting up {wich is always it seems} but iv had a few good weeks so far! i hear what yer saying, its a different life we have now then before the big: "You Have Melanoma" scare…besides my glands acting up, "mentaly" im wishy washy, i have good days & dark days but thank God i have my woodworking to fall back on, it helps. Im thinkin of going back to work "part time" though, i owe my employer big time even though its never been pushed, they sprung for my Kaiser Ins long after i left work so, its weighing on my brain to do so, even if we can just call it "volunteering" for awhile, a day or two a week to pay them back, i hope they say yes!…Im glad youve been doing good though, youll know the right time to possibly stop treatment, you can always go back on right? no biggy!!….Take care sis, Mike….

jbronicki
          Participant

Hi Jenn,

I'm not in your shoes either (my husband is the one with melanoma), but I can imagine how difficult a decision that would be.  I would probably be a wreck.  From your profile, I see that you are biochemist and involved in analytical work, IT etc.  So you probably are fairly data driven.  I work in biostatistics department on clinical trials gathering the data and working with the statisticians who do the analyses and my whole work life is about this stuff.  However, it all seems to fly out the window when the rubber hits the road so to speak and it actually involves us personally.  I can imagine it's comforting to get the treatments since it feels like at least something is being proactive, whether it means anything more or not (not sure of the research in this area or if they have enough long term data, etc).  but either way, you'll do the right thing.  Just wanted to say good luck with your decision.  I'm in awe of your ability to present this stuff so clearly, be a mother to kids, work, and all the treatment you went through and the subsequent limitations.  You are pretty amazing.  We will for sure hang in there with you, many hugs.  

marta010
            Participant

Hi Jennifer – totally understand your perspective about adjusting to the new future.  The "new normal" is not how we expected to spend our lives.  My husband is not longer able to work, drive, do much physical activity, etc. and I don't expect that to change much, even though his most recent scans were clear of disease.  He's still on immunotherapy for the next year or so and we anticipate the fatigue and other aches and pains will continue for the foreseeable  future. I think my husband has adjusted to the new status quo more than I have – I try not to be bitter but it is easy to think of the "if only" scenarios. It's super frustrating but not productive.  It has been tremendously joyful to watch my husband play with our new grandson!  And we're looking forward to our son's wedding next May with a greater sense of certainty that he will be here to enjoy the celebration!  The uncertainty that comes with each set of scans will lurk for quite some time….maybe always – but we keep on keeping on!  Like you said – living is hard but it beats the alternative!  One foot in front of the other!  Take care and know that we share your thoughts.

Ann

Bubbles
              Participant

Amen and well said, Jennifer!!  Sorry for the difficulties, but so glad for your current response.  I don't like to think that melanoma changed who I am.  But, as a friend told me long ago….you don't go through a life threatening disease, followed by a life threatening treatment and come out unchanged!  She's a smart cookie.  Or as I believe Heraclitus is quoted as having said…."Nothing is permanent but change."  

You are an inspiration to every so many!!  Live large! – yours, celeste

happyfeet123
                  Participant

Hi Jennifer

I mostly read the posts and seldom post. Your post struck me because I am going through some of the same feelings.  I had been NED since July but wanted to stay on keytruda for at least six more months. I developed another lesion while on keytruda and my oncologist felt it would be beneficial to stay on it a little longer.  Not the case, developed colitis in October.  I have to admit the first scan after being off was probably the most difficult.  Your hoping and praying it is still working.  It was mentally hard. I had a good scan in January but it doesn’t make the fear any less.  I know I have no control over this and will deal with whatever comes up as it comes.  I try to remember my worse day is someone’s best day. I am hoping as time goes by the aniexty becomes less and less.  I think melanoma changes all of else for good and bad.  I try to focus on the good.  Take Care. 

Tammy

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics