The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just For Today

Forums General Melanoma Community Just For Today

Participant

Someone gave me a card with these words. I try to read it every morning. Everywhere there is despair and it's so disheartening.  I try to keep myself from falling victim to worry and fear with a morning reading.

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all of my problems at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Someone gave me a card with these words. I try to read it every morning. Everywhere there is despair and it's so disheartening.  I try to keep myself from falling victim to worry and fear with a morning reading.

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all of my problems at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everythinkg to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study, I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out;if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do– just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, not try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all to myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Kimmer
        Participant

This is lovely…thank you whoever you are.

k.

anne
            Participant

You're welcome. It's from Al- Anon- but it's appropriate for every situation. I find it helps as I am working to find peace with my lot in life,  living within my means, within the boundaries of my commitments, trying to keep my spirits up and change my feelings.

It can be done- so I've been told 😉

anne
              Participant

You're welcome. It's from Al- Anon- but it's appropriate for every situation. I find it helps as I am working to find peace with my lot in life,  living within my means, within the boundaries of my commitments, trying to keep my spirits up and change my feelings.

It can be done- so I've been told 😉

Kimmer
              Participant

This is lovely…thank you whoever you are.

k.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics