The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just diagnosed, scared and lots of questions HELP

Forums General Melanoma Community Just diagnosed, scared and lots of questions HELP

Participant

I just don't know what to think, I really need to hear some positive thougths and stories please, I am 35, 3 kids, was a sun lover and had a mole removed from my back that turned out to be Melanoma, it is draining to my left inguinal lymph nodes, they are calling to schedule my surgery on Friday and I just don't know what to expect and what is gonna happen, my Dr. said don't worry you are not gonna die, you are young and healthy and you cought it early, yet the more research I do and the more i read the more freaked out I get,

I just don't know what to think, I really need to hear some positive thougths and stories please, I am 35, 3 kids, was a sun lover and had a mole removed from my back that turned out to be Melanoma, it is draining to my left inguinal lymph nodes, they are calling to schedule my surgery on Friday and I just don't know what to expect and what is gonna happen, my Dr. said don't worry you are not gonna die, you are young and healthy and you cought it early, yet the more research I do and the more i read the more freaked out I get,

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        AngelaM
        Participant

You need to post your pathology report

AngelaM
          Participant

AngelaM
            Participant

natasha
              Participant

Hi!

I understand what you feel.

I was 31 then diagnosed.

You are lucky to have kids !! I do not have and was told I better do not become pregnant after diagnosys.

It was horrible time first weeks after diagnosys.

I feel what are you going through now..

It will be better with time..

Could you give more details of your pathology.

I did not understand a thing about melanoma from beginning of my journey:) But it all comes with time

Wish you all the best – it is a lot of melanoma survivors out where.

But ,don't forget ,on this board mostly people who have advanced stages ,all rest moved on with they lifes

natasha
                Participant

Hi!

I was 31 then diagnosed.

You are lucky to have kids !! I do not have and was told I better do not become pregnant after diagnosys.

I did not understand a thing about melanoma from beginning of my journey:) But it all comes with time

But ,don't forget ,on this board mostly people who have advanced stages ,all rest moved on with they lifes

natasha
                  Participant

Hi!

I was 31 then diagnosed.

Janner
                    Participant

Your pathology report has the info we need to be of help to you – it gives the important details.  This site also has a paper:  Just Diagnosed, now what.   http://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/u3/Just%20Diagnosed.pdf

Until you really understand your lesion (depth, stage etc), it is hard to research anything and keep perspective.  You really need to understand your own particulars first for the research to be productive and not just plain scary.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

Your pathology report has the info we need to be of help to you – it gives the important details.  This site also has a paper:  Just Diagnosed, now what.   http://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/u3/Just%20Diagnosed.pdf

Until you really understand your lesion (depth, stage etc), it is hard to research anything and keep perspective.  You really need to understand your own particulars first for the research to be productive and not just plain scary.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

KMT2003
                          Participant
                            Hi and welcome. Don’t worry about being scared or worried, we all have felt that way too. I am 35 also with 2 children ages 3 and 7 so I feel you! I was actually 30 when I was first diagnosed when a mole was removed from the back of my neck. The doctor then didn’t give us all the info and since we were clueless we didn’t know to ask certain things. I look back on it today and wonder if things would have been different but I can’t think like that. In 2007 I had the mole removal and WLE but the doc couldn’t find my sentinel node so told us to wait and see how things went. We didn’t like that so we made an appt with an oncologist who pretty much told us everything was fine and not to worry since no family history. I went on to live my life without really thinking more about melanoma. I did continue my scans with my dermatologist regularly. Everything seemed great. One month after my 5 year mark I developed a swollen lymph node in the same area of my neck. Needless to say now I am stage 3. The first few weeks were hard for myself and family but you have to stay positive and take any support you are given. I just finished radiation and will be doing a clinical trial at the end of August. I do have bad days from time to time where I worry about my kids growing up without me but I enjoy every minute I have with them and tell myself that I am in this for the long run. I will beat this and so will you. Enjoy living your life but also get as much info you can and find the best melanoma center in your area to help you through this. We are here for each other. Hang in there and stay strong. Feel free to read my profile or contact me if you want.

Kelly

KMT2003
                            Participant
                              Hi and welcome. Don’t worry about being scared or worried, we all have felt that way too. I am 35 also with 2 children ages 3 and 7 so I feel you! I was actually 30 when I was first diagnosed when a mole was removed from the back of my neck. The doctor then didn’t give us all the info and since we were clueless we didn’t know to ask certain things. I look back on it today and wonder if things would have been different but I can’t think like that. In 2007 I had the mole removal and WLE but the doc couldn’t find my sentinel node so told us to wait and see how things went. We didn’t like that so we made an appt with an oncologist who pretty much told us everything was fine and not to worry since no family history. I went on to live my life without really thinking more about melanoma. I did continue my scans with my dermatologist regularly. Everything seemed great. One month after my 5 year mark I developed a swollen lymph node in the same area of my neck. Needless to say now I am stage 3. The first few weeks were hard for myself and family but you have to stay positive and take any support you are given. I just finished radiation and will be doing a clinical trial at the end of August. I do have bad days from time to time where I worry about my kids growing up without me but I enjoy every minute I have with them and tell myself that I am in this for the long run. I will beat this and so will you. Enjoy living your life but also get as much info you can and find the best melanoma center in your area to help you through this. We are here for each other. Hang in there and stay strong. Feel free to read my profile or contact me if you want.

Kelly

KMT2003
                              Participant

Kelly

EmilyandMike
                                Participant

Hello – as others have said, you need to know your pathology. You will probably have a sentinel node biopsy along with a wide exision which are done at the same time so they can tell what node basin the melanoma is really draining.  If they find cells in the sentinel node, you will have a PET scan and more surgery to remove the rest of the nodes in that area.  You will have drains put in place for the wide exision/node biopsy to help you with healing.   Groin dissections are trickier because of walking and you might have some swelling from the node biopsy (lymphedema). 

My husband had a 1.3 breslow on his back that drained to his axilla – not his groin.  When they found a few cells in the sentinel node, he had a complete node dissection a few weeks later.   He is doing very well 3 years later with no recurrences and no other treatment other than observation.

I know it is scary right now – I would suggest you stop reading stuff on the internet…until you are more settled.  Understand that just because you read it, doesnt mean it will happen to you. 

Take care

Emily

EmilyandMike
                                  Participant

Hello – as others have said, you need to know your pathology. You will probably have a sentinel node biopsy along with a wide exision which are done at the same time so they can tell what node basin the melanoma is really draining.  If they find cells in the sentinel node, you will have a PET scan and more surgery to remove the rest of the nodes in that area.  You will have drains put in place for the wide exision/node biopsy to help you with healing.   Groin dissections are trickier because of walking and you might have some swelling from the node biopsy (lymphedema). 

My husband had a 1.3 breslow on his back that drained to his axilla – not his groin.  When they found a few cells in the sentinel node, he had a complete node dissection a few weeks later.   He is doing very well 3 years later with no recurrences and no other treatment other than observation.

I know it is scary right now – I would suggest you stop reading stuff on the internet…until you are more settled.  Understand that just because you read it, doesnt mean it will happen to you. 

Take care

Emily

EmilyandMike
                                    Participant

Take care

Emily

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics