The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just diagnosed and full of questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Just diagnosed and full of questions

Participant
      I was just diagnosed Friday feb 1st. I was referred to MDA on Tuesday, feb. 5th. They called me Thursday about ins stuff and said I should hear back by Friday or Monday. Just wondering if they would have app for me at this time. I am ready to get started on some kind of treatment. My gen. Onc said I am a stage 3. SCARY! I feel like this stuff is just going everywhere as I sit here waiting for them to call.

I was just diagnosed Friday feb 1st. I was referred to MDA on Tuesday, feb. 5th. They called me Thursday about ins stuff and said I should hear back by Friday or Monday. Just wondering if they would have app for me at this time. I am ready to get started on some kind of treatment. My gen. Onc said I am a stage 3. SCARY! I feel like this stuff is just going everywhere as I sit here waiting for them to call.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        sjl
        Participant

If you don't hear from them by Monday, give them a call and keep after them until you do.  I learned that I have to be persistent and follow through on every single thing.  And I mean everything.  That means that if someone is supposed to fax or send information to another doctor, I call to make sure that they got what they needed. Get copies of as much as you can because things get lost.   For the first several months after my husband's diagnosis the communication between doctors and staff was a complete nightmare.  Things are much better now but I had a very rough time in the beginning.   I'm not trying to scare you but I just think we all need to be on top of things.  My husband's doctors are excellent but each of us is only one of many patients they see each day.  Some are overwhelmed, short on staff and overworked.  My husband has not dealt with MDA so your experience may go much smoother.  MDA has a good reputation.  Good luck.

sjl
          Participant

If you don't hear from them by Monday, give them a call and keep after them until you do.  I learned that I have to be persistent and follow through on every single thing.  And I mean everything.  That means that if someone is supposed to fax or send information to another doctor, I call to make sure that they got what they needed. Get copies of as much as you can because things get lost.   For the first several months after my husband's diagnosis the communication between doctors and staff was a complete nightmare.  Things are much better now but I had a very rough time in the beginning.   I'm not trying to scare you but I just think we all need to be on top of things.  My husband's doctors are excellent but each of us is only one of many patients they see each day.  Some are overwhelmed, short on staff and overworked.  My husband has not dealt with MDA so your experience may go much smoother.  MDA has a good reputation.  Good luck.

sjl
            Participant

lisab60
                Participant
                  Thank you, I will go get path reports Monday. That seems to be what they are waiting on. Any advice will be greatly appreciated . I hope your husband is doing well.
                  lisab60
                  Participant
                    Thank you, I will go get path reports Monday. That seems to be what they are waiting on. Any advice will be greatly appreciated . I hope your husband is doing well.
                    lisab60
                    Participant
                    washoegal
                    Participant

I am wondering if maybe you had a miscommunication.  Did your general Onc say you were Barslow level 3?  That is not the same as stage 3.  The only way you would know  if you were stage 3 is if you  had a sentinel node biopsy.  Right now probably all you would have is a preliminary depth and a mitotic rate (how fast the tumor was growing).  Hope you can get a follow-up appointment soon.

Mary

Stage 3

lisab60
                        Participant
                          I don’t know much about any of this, but I am learning. All I know is this small pink spot was found by accident on my foot. I was sent to another dr so he could look at it. He didn’t think it was anything but decided to biopsy it because of my light hair and green eyes. It came back as melanoma with a depth of 3.8 out of 4. I was then sent for PET scan which showed it in my lymph nodes in th left groin. That’s all I know. The oncologist said it was stage 3.???
                          lisab60
                          Participant
                            I don’t know much about any of this, but I am learning. All I know is this small pink spot was found by accident on my foot. I was sent to another dr so he could look at it. He didn’t think it was anything but decided to biopsy it because of my light hair and green eyes. It came back as melanoma with a depth of 3.8 out of 4. I was then sent for PET scan which showed it in my lymph nodes in th left groin. That’s all I know. The oncologist said it was stage 3.???
                            lisab60
                            Participant
                              lisab60
                              Participant
                                lisab60
                                Participant
                                  lisab60
                                  Participant
                                    lisab60
                                    Participant
                                      lisab60
                                      Participant
                                        Janner
                                        Participant

It's good you are going to MDA.  They are very well versed in melanoma and will hopefully get your treatment on track.

Breslow depth has no upper limit, so it sounds as if yours was 3.8mm or possibly Clark's Level III.  Hard to tell exactly from your description.  Did it have clean deep margins?  (Get copies of all your pathology and scan reports for your own files).  In addition, a PET scan is not usually used to determine if it has spread to the lymph nodes.  Pet scans have false positives and could easily be inflamed from the biopsy itself.  PET scans also do not see microscopic cells so are unreliable for determining small amounts of disease.  PET scans can respond to any metabolic intake so inflammation, arthritis and many other things can cause PET scans to light up.  Typically, they do a Sentinel Node Biopsy (SNB) prior to doing a Wide Local Excision (WLE).  The WLE takes larger margins around the primary tumor to remove any cells that might have escaped.  The SNB traces the drainage path from the original tumor to the first lymph node in the basin.  For you, this could be groin or behind the knee.  The SNB is a more definitive approach to determining stage.  These are all procedures that MDA does all the time so you will be in good hands there.

Get copies of everything, take good notes (bring a friend if possible) and feel free to ask questions here!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                          Participant

It's good you are going to MDA.  They are very well versed in melanoma and will hopefully get your treatment on track.

Breslow depth has no upper limit, so it sounds as if yours was 3.8mm or possibly Clark's Level III.  Hard to tell exactly from your description.  Did it have clean deep margins?  (Get copies of all your pathology and scan reports for your own files).  In addition, a PET scan is not usually used to determine if it has spread to the lymph nodes.  Pet scans have false positives and could easily be inflamed from the biopsy itself.  PET scans also do not see microscopic cells so are unreliable for determining small amounts of disease.  PET scans can respond to any metabolic intake so inflammation, arthritis and many other things can cause PET scans to light up.  Typically, they do a Sentinel Node Biopsy (SNB) prior to doing a Wide Local Excision (WLE).  The WLE takes larger margins around the primary tumor to remove any cells that might have escaped.  The SNB traces the drainage path from the original tumor to the first lymph node in the basin.  For you, this could be groin or behind the knee.  The SNB is a more definitive approach to determining stage.  These are all procedures that MDA does all the time so you will be in good hands there.

Get copies of everything, take good notes (bring a friend if possible) and feel free to ask questions here!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

lisab60
                                              Participant
                                              washoegal
                                              Participant

I am wondering if maybe you had a miscommunication.  Did your general Onc say you were Barslow level 3?  That is not the same as stage 3.  The only way you would know  if you were stage 3 is if you  had a sentinel node biopsy.  Right now probably all you would have is a preliminary depth and a mitotic rate (how fast the tumor was growing).  Hope you can get a follow-up appointment soon.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                                Participant

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics