The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Junctional nevus with atypical features on acral skin

Forums General Melanoma Community Junctional nevus with atypical features on acral skin

Participant

A 20 year old loved one very recently got a dark mole and a tiny one the size of a pin right next to it removed from his finger.  The Pathologist Comments are as follows:

A 20 year old loved one very recently got a dark mole and a tiny one the size of a pin right next to it removed from his finger.  The Pathologist Comments are as follows:

There are nested melanocytes at the junction with focal bridging between rete.  Scattered single cells are at the junction and in the mid-epidermis.  Rare melanocytes are in the granular layer.  Junctional melanocytes have enlarged epithelioid nuclei and coarsely pigmented cytoplasm.  One mitosis seen.  Melanophages surround the dermal vessels.  These features are in keeping with a junctional nevus with atypical features on acral skin.  It extends to a peripheral biopsy edge.  Complete excision is recommended.

The specimen was an irregular portion of tan skin measuring 0.7 x 0.4 x 0.1 cm, margins painted blue.  

Can someone please tell me what all this means.  We are very worried.  The nurse (not the doctor) called us and told us it was just an atypical mole they want to remove fully.  When we had gone to see the dermatologist he didn't want to remove it but we asked for it to be removed as it just didn't look right to us and now we have this pathology report.  

Does this type of diagnosis mean this person is more susceptible to melanoma?  Should we get his other moles checked.  We are a moley family.  How are we going to ensure they get all of it when they excise it.   Please help us understand.  I have been trying to research as much as I can for the last 2 days since we got the report.  Thank you and god bless everyone.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

This is an atypical mole that most likely would never have been a problem.  However, it is common sense to remove it completely.  They will do another pathology report on the removed tissue and will report if the margins are clear.  You should also watch the excision site in the future and report if you notice any pigment regrowth to your doctor.

If you are a moley family, you are probably at higher risk for melanoma in the first place regardless of this diagnosis.  Watch for CHANGE!  Things that are changing are typically more suspicious than moles that have been stable.  It doesn't mean they are melanoma, but they do pose a higher risk.

I wouldn't spend time over reacting to this diagnosis, it isn't cancer.  But it might be a good wakeup call for all the family to become more aware of their moles and watch for anything that displays the ABCD's of melanoma or the "E" which is Evolving or change.

Best wishes,

Janner

rdd
            Participant

Janner thank you for your reply.  You have put my mind to ease especially since it is coming from someone who is living with these experiences.  We will watch for change and keep track of our moles… something we have never really done.  My heartfelt best wishes to you.  Thank you.

rdd
              Participant

Janner thank you for your reply.  You have put my mind to ease especially since it is coming from someone who is living with these experiences.  We will watch for change and keep track of our moles… something we have never really done.  My heartfelt best wishes to you.  Thank you.

rdd
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

This is an atypical mole that most likely would never have been a problem.  However, it is common sense to remove it completely.  They will do another pathology report on the removed tissue and will report if the margins are clear.  You should also watch the excision site in the future and report if you notice any pigment regrowth to your doctor.

If you are a moley family, you are probably at higher risk for melanoma in the first place regardless of this diagnosis.  Watch for CHANGE!  Things that are changing are typically more suspicious than moles that have been stable.  It doesn't mean they are melanoma, but they do pose a higher risk.

I wouldn't spend time over reacting to this diagnosis, it isn't cancer.  But it might be a good wakeup call for all the family to become more aware of their moles and watch for anything that displays the ABCD's of melanoma or the "E" which is Evolving or change.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics