The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

junctional melanocytic nevus, dysplastic type with severe atypia

Forums General Melanoma Community junctional melanocytic nevus, dysplastic type with severe atypia

Participant

After my appointment last week where I was told that melanoma was highly likely in a mole that I had punch biopsied, the pathology report came back with "junctional melanocytic nevus, dysplastic type with severe atypia". My doctor said this was the best report I could have gotten since clinically, what her and the other doctor were seeing was melanoma. I am having it removed next week where she is going to take wider margins than usual (5-6mm) and then that will be sent to pathology. 

can anyone help me understand what exactly the path report means. Could I still have melanoma? The doctor basically said, it is an atypical mole and cells that are changing and we're lucky to have caught it now. 

Im feeling so relieved but still need some clarity. This has been the worst week of my life thus far waiting for the report since I have a 8 week and 18 month old. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        iskitwo
        Participant

They should have never told you melanoma without path report! I just had 3 removed and 2 came back as atypical mole moderate. I went back and had wider margins done. I was told that these are the types of mole that have the possiblity to change but they are NOT melanoma. This is a great report for you. 

iskitwo
          Participant

They should have never told you melanoma without path report! I just had 3 removed and 2 came back as atypical mole moderate. I went back and had wider margins done. I was told that these are the types of mole that have the possiblity to change but they are NOT melanoma. This is a great report for you. 

Scared_th
              Participant

Thank you for the reply! Both doctors seemed shocked and relieved that is wasn't melanoma – I'm still in disbelief and this has changed my perspective on so much. Taking care of my skin has been important to me, but now it is a priority. 

Scared_th
                Participant

Thank you for the reply! Both doctors seemed shocked and relieved that is wasn't melanoma – I'm still in disbelief and this has changed my perspective on so much. Taking care of my skin has been important to me, but now it is a priority. 

Scared_th
                  Participant

iskitwo
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Dysplastic nevi are NOT melanoma and they may never become melanoma.  However, severely atypical nevi do have a higher probability.  Just for reference, though, most atypical nevi NEVER become melanoma.  I agree with the other poster, the doc had no business "pre-diagnosing" you without a pathology report.  He can say he suspects an atypical lesion but should not diagnose and say you have melanoma. 

As for if this were melanoma, the answer is that is not what is diagnosed.  Is the pathologist a dermatopatholgost?  A pathologist that specializes in skin?  They take extra wide margins just to be on the safe side.  (These are the same margins they take for melanoma in situ).  So you don't have a melanoma diagnosis! and they are being extra cautious by removing extra skin – as it recommended.  You could get a second opinion if you want, but the actual treatment would not change.  I, personally, wouldn't go there.

As with any lesion that is removed, monitor the scar area for any pigment regrowth.  If you have pigment growing back in the scar, see your derm.  (Doesn't mean it is bad – I've had freckles grow back in my scar area – but it is worth having it checked).

You've had your scare, now sigh a big sigh of relief and enjoy those kiddos!  Pay attention to your skin and watch for CHANGE!  That's the most important factor.  If things aren't changing, I wouldn't be worrying.  You know now to pay attention and that is good, but no more need to stress over this lesion.

Scared_th
                        Participant

Thank you so much for the reply! After the week I've had of over analyzing and thinking about the what if's, I am overly grateful that it is not a melanoma diagnosis – I may be in disbelief and keep looking for more things they could have missed and what exactly all these words on the path report mean. I cannot wait to get this thing off of me and am glad we're taking an approach of taking wide margins – I just want it off my body. 

Scared_th
                          Participant

Thank you so much for the reply! After the week I've had of over analyzing and thinking about the what if's, I am overly grateful that it is not a melanoma diagnosis – I may be in disbelief and keep looking for more things they could have missed and what exactly all these words on the path report mean. I cannot wait to get this thing off of me and am glad we're taking an approach of taking wide margins – I just want it off my body. 

Scared_th
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Dysplastic nevi are NOT melanoma and they may never become melanoma.  However, severely atypical nevi do have a higher probability.  Just for reference, though, most atypical nevi NEVER become melanoma.  I agree with the other poster, the doc had no business "pre-diagnosing" you without a pathology report.  He can say he suspects an atypical lesion but should not diagnose and say you have melanoma. 

As for if this were melanoma, the answer is that is not what is diagnosed.  Is the pathologist a dermatopatholgost?  A pathologist that specializes in skin?  They take extra wide margins just to be on the safe side.  (These are the same margins they take for melanoma in situ).  So you don't have a melanoma diagnosis! and they are being extra cautious by removing extra skin – as it recommended.  You could get a second opinion if you want, but the actual treatment would not change.  I, personally, wouldn't go there.

As with any lesion that is removed, monitor the scar area for any pigment regrowth.  If you have pigment growing back in the scar, see your derm.  (Doesn't mean it is bad – I've had freckles grow back in my scar area – but it is worth having it checked).

You've had your scare, now sigh a big sigh of relief and enjoy those kiddos!  Pay attention to your skin and watch for CHANGE!  That's the most important factor.  If things aren't changing, I wouldn't be worrying.  You know now to pay attention and that is good, but no more need to stress over this lesion.

Janner
                              Participant

keepthefaith11
                                Participant
                                  So glad to hear this! I have been wondering about you. I have had two moles taken off as well. One was mild atypia and one was moderate. The moderate one I went back and they did the five millimeter margins. Not a big deal.

With my father having stage 4 melanoma with tumors in the brain I am very paranoid nowadays. I am going back to the dermatologist every 6 months to check on things. This was their advice. Keep an eye on your skin but please don’t let it consume you. You have two beautiful little kids and you want to enjoy them and not look back years down the line thinking you should not have stressed over something that it’s not worth stressing over.

When things like this happen we go through all the emotions of having a disasterous diagnosis. I went through it this past spring going back and forth to the breast health clinic. Horrible thoughts went through my mind that I would have breast cancer. My mom did 15 years ago. But coming out of that and everything was fine changed my perspective. It was actually a good thing for me since I now cherish each moment even more than I ever did. This might be happening to you as well with a past week’s horror. Know that you are healthy and well and have nothing to worry about when it comes to these lesions. Now go enjoy Christmas with your babies!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                  Participant
                                    So glad to hear this! I have been wondering about you. I have had two moles taken off as well. One was mild atypia and one was moderate. The moderate one I went back and they did the five millimeter margins. Not a big deal.

With my father having stage 4 melanoma with tumors in the brain I am very paranoid nowadays. I am going back to the dermatologist every 6 months to check on things. This was their advice. Keep an eye on your skin but please don’t let it consume you. You have two beautiful little kids and you want to enjoy them and not look back years down the line thinking you should not have stressed over something that it’s not worth stressing over.

When things like this happen we go through all the emotions of having a disasterous diagnosis. I went through it this past spring going back and forth to the breast health clinic. Horrible thoughts went through my mind that I would have breast cancer. My mom did 15 years ago. But coming out of that and everything was fine changed my perspective. It was actually a good thing for me since I now cherish each moment even more than I ever did. This might be happening to you as well with a past week’s horror. Know that you are healthy and well and have nothing to worry about when it comes to these lesions. Now go enjoy Christmas with your babies!

Annie

Scared_th
                                      Participant

Annie- thank you so much for your reply. I'm eager to get this off of me next week, and to hopefully move forward from this. I have such a new appreciation for my skin and for my health in general. You are spot on when you talk about the new perspective after fearing a dangerous diagnosis. This last week has been one that I wouldn't wish upon anybody. 

I think I will be getting skin checks about every 3 months after this until I'm at least a year post partum – the new statistics that are out about melanoma and pregnancy are terrifying. 

I hope you have a very merry Christmas. Wishing you a happy and very healthy new year. 

Scared_th
                                        Participant

Annie- thank you so much for your reply. I'm eager to get this off of me next week, and to hopefully move forward from this. I have such a new appreciation for my skin and for my health in general. You are spot on when you talk about the new perspective after fearing a dangerous diagnosis. This last week has been one that I wouldn't wish upon anybody. 

I think I will be getting skin checks about every 3 months after this until I'm at least a year post partum – the new statistics that are out about melanoma and pregnancy are terrifying. 

I hope you have a very merry Christmas. Wishing you a happy and very healthy new year. 

Scared_th
                                          Participant

keepthefaith11
                                          Participant

Annie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics