The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

July PET/CT Results – BRAF Combo FAIL

Forums General Melanoma Community July PET/CT Results – BRAF Combo FAIL

Participant

Hello All

Just a quick update…. newest PET /CT showed increased activity in my bones, lungs and liver

Plan now is to stop the Tafinlar and Mekinist as of today and make the switch to ;Yervoy (Ipi) within a week or so once insurance is done.

it seems like the right course of action. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks 

Matt

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

So sorry your scans took that turn, Matt.  But, there is good data to support your decision to change over to ipi.  I wish you the best possible response! Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

So sorry your scans took that turn, Matt.  But, there is good data to support your decision to change over to ipi.  I wish you the best possible response! Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

jualonso
              Participant
                The first, sorry for fail inhibitors, I’m with the same treatment and I know it is going to happen too me as well.
                Regarding ipi I heard folks that fail braf inh. Have very poor response. But you never know on which side you are. Anyway other option could be anti pd1. Do whatever you do, have a good luck.
                jualonso
                Participant
                  The first, sorry for fail inhibitors, I’m with the same treatment and I know it is going to happen too me as well.
                  Regarding ipi I heard folks that fail braf inh. Have very poor response. But you never know on which side you are. Anyway other option could be anti pd1. Do whatever you do, have a good luck.
                  jualonso
                  Participant
                    lbkimball
                    Participant

Hi Matt,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I had the same thing happen in January. I went from NED to 30 tumors in my brain and several in my body practically overnight while taking Tafinlar and Mekinist. My oncologist, Dr. Daud at UCSF took me off both, had me do Gamma Knife radiation on my brain mets, then put me back on a double dose of Tafinlar. That helped in stabilizing my tumors. I tried one Yervoy infusion but felt horrible on it (we think it was worse for me because I was also doing the double dose of Tafinlar) so it was considered a "fail" . That turned out to be a good thing, as it enabled me to gain access to the Merck PD-1 Expanded Access Program. I had my first infusion yesterday, and I'll report my progress here. 

Please let us know how you do on Yervoy. You may suggest to your doctor the double dose of Tafinlar, it did help a fair amount. ALSO, once PD1 is FDA approved, the combo of an anti-PD1 drug and Yervoy is supposed to be insanely effective. Something like 80-90% survival rate at 2 years.

Best,

laura

lbkimball
                      Participant

Hi Matt,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I had the same thing happen in January. I went from NED to 30 tumors in my brain and several in my body practically overnight while taking Tafinlar and Mekinist. My oncologist, Dr. Daud at UCSF took me off both, had me do Gamma Knife radiation on my brain mets, then put me back on a double dose of Tafinlar. That helped in stabilizing my tumors. I tried one Yervoy infusion but felt horrible on it (we think it was worse for me because I was also doing the double dose of Tafinlar) so it was considered a "fail" . That turned out to be a good thing, as it enabled me to gain access to the Merck PD-1 Expanded Access Program. I had my first infusion yesterday, and I'll report my progress here. 

Please let us know how you do on Yervoy. You may suggest to your doctor the double dose of Tafinlar, it did help a fair amount. ALSO, once PD1 is FDA approved, the combo of an anti-PD1 drug and Yervoy is supposed to be insanely effective. Something like 80-90% survival rate at 2 years.

Best,

laura

lbkimball
                        Participant

Hi Matt,

Best,

laura

RJoeyB
                          Participant

Sorry to hear about the progression on the BRAF/MEK combination Matt.  I saw from your profile that it looks like you started it back in December?  Curious if you experienced an initial response at some point during the time you were on it?

Regardless, I'd agree that ipi would be the next logical course of action in almost anyone's book.  Have they mentioned any "washout period" after finishing the combination before starting?  I've heard others mention it as a precaution to prevent any interactions, but don't know how much there is to it — maybe worth a question to your doctor, though.

Some might suggest a PD-1 trial or EAP, which would be reasonable, too, but with the EAP's and even Merck's likely October approval of pembro, prior ipi treatment is and will be a prerequisite, so if it were me, I'd take the same approach as you with ipi and then be positioned to try anti-PD-1 if needed later.

Kind regards, Joe

ed williams
                              Participant

Matt, did you read the post from Tim on 7/10/2014 about the expanded access to the ipi and Nivo phase 3 trial. I was able to get on the trial Jan 2014 and have been stage 4 since July 2013 with lung and brain mets- ( stable after cyberknife treatment). I have been doing great on the trial so far!!! I think it would be worth looking into. The results were talked about a lot at the  2014 ASCO conference. The one and two year survival # are really positive with #'s in the 80% range for 1 year and in the mid 70 % range over 2 years. Best of luck!!!  Ed

ed williams
                                Participant

Matt, did you read the post from Tim on 7/10/2014 about the expanded access to the ipi and Nivo phase 3 trial. I was able to get on the trial Jan 2014 and have been stage 4 since July 2013 with lung and brain mets- ( stable after cyberknife treatment). I have been doing great on the trial so far!!! I think it would be worth looking into. The results were talked about a lot at the  2014 ASCO conference. The one and two year survival # are really positive with #'s in the 80% range for 1 year and in the mid 70 % range over 2 years. Best of luck!!!  Ed

ed williams
                                  Participant

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

Sorry to hear about the progression on the BRAF/MEK combination Matt.  I saw from your profile that it looks like you started it back in December?  Curious if you experienced an initial response at some point during the time you were on it?

Regardless, I'd agree that ipi would be the next logical course of action in almost anyone's book.  Have they mentioned any "washout period" after finishing the combination before starting?  I've heard others mention it as a precaution to prevent any interactions, but don't know how much there is to it — maybe worth a question to your doctor, though.

Some might suggest a PD-1 trial or EAP, which would be reasonable, too, but with the EAP's and even Merck's likely October approval of pembro, prior ipi treatment is and will be a prerequisite, so if it were me, I'd take the same approach as you with ipi and then be positioned to try anti-PD-1 if needed later.

Kind regards, Joe

RJoeyB
                                    Participant

Kind regards, Joe

BrianP
                                      Participant

Matt,

I was going to make the same suggestion as Ed.  It's probably a long shot because of the timing but definitely worth looking into.  I just found out from my clinical trial coordinator at UVA that they could have their first two patients actually getting an infusion within the next couple weeks.  He said UVA is the first location in the country to combo EAP available.  Maybe others won't be far behind. 

Having said that, I don't think the Ipi is a bad option either, just think the combo is the best option out there right now.

Brian

BrianP
                                        Participant

Matt,

I was going to make the same suggestion as Ed.  It's probably a long shot because of the timing but definitely worth looking into.  I just found out from my clinical trial coordinator at UVA that they could have their first two patients actually getting an infusion within the next couple weeks.  He said UVA is the first location in the country to combo EAP available.  Maybe others won't be far behind. 

Having said that, I don't think the Ipi is a bad option either, just think the combo is the best option out there right now.

Brian

BrianP
                                          Participant

Matt,

Brian

GAngel
                                            Participant

Oh Matt…. I'm  so sorry to hear that  news!  It seems appropriate that the next treatment would be ipi or pd1 if  possible.  My husband has a petscan tomorrow  morning  so having some scanxiety… but  expecting more great results despite the fact that he's actually been off of the combo more than on because of intermittent  dosing  for the past 3 months. 

The one thing that he has been taking consistently almost since he was diagnosed  a year and a half  ago is hemp oil…. Please look into it with an open mind knowing that you won't get much support from the medical community  in the states.  There is more and more supporting information that is coming out that it is curing various cancers,  melanoma being one of them.  I know another melanoma survivor  (stage 4) who is NED due to hemp oil. He opted against traditional treatments and took only hemp oil.  I don't want to give anyone false hope as I'm sure it isn't the answer for everyone however it works forever some.

There is the issues of it being illegal and not available on any open market that I'm  aware of but you can make it yourself… One must wonder why is it illegal?  You cannot overdose on it and you don't get high from taking it… It's safer than any treatments currently available….there are no side effects at all. I take a risk every time I talk about here but I feel that it's worth it if it saves lives. If you any questions my husband and I would be happy to answer them via private message and that is true for whomever else reads this message. My email is [email protected].   You are in my prayers! 

Blessings and love to you and yours, 

Gina

GAngel
                                              Participant

Oh Matt…. I'm  so sorry to hear that  news!  It seems appropriate that the next treatment would be ipi or pd1 if  possible.  My husband has a petscan tomorrow  morning  so having some scanxiety… but  expecting more great results despite the fact that he's actually been off of the combo more than on because of intermittent  dosing  for the past 3 months. 

The one thing that he has been taking consistently almost since he was diagnosed  a year and a half  ago is hemp oil…. Please look into it with an open mind knowing that you won't get much support from the medical community  in the states.  There is more and more supporting information that is coming out that it is curing various cancers,  melanoma being one of them.  I know another melanoma survivor  (stage 4) who is NED due to hemp oil. He opted against traditional treatments and took only hemp oil.  I don't want to give anyone false hope as I'm sure it isn't the answer for everyone however it works forever some.

There is the issues of it being illegal and not available on any open market that I'm  aware of but you can make it yourself… One must wonder why is it illegal?  You cannot overdose on it and you don't get high from taking it… It's safer than any treatments currently available….there are no side effects at all. I take a risk every time I talk about here but I feel that it's worth it if it saves lives. If you any questions my husband and I would be happy to answer them via private message and that is true for whomever else reads this message. My email is [email protected].   You are in my prayers! 

Gina

jualonso
                                                  Participant

Hi Gina,

You said you are in intermittent dose of Combo, could you tell me how was it decided and how is this intermittent dose?

Thanks

jualonso
                                                    Participant

Hi Gina,

You said you are in intermittent dose of Combo, could you tell me how was it decided and how is this intermittent dose?

Thanks

jualonso
                                                      Participant

Hi Gina,

Thanks

GAngel
                                                      Participant

Gina

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics