The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Joint Pain on Mekinist and Tafinlar

Forums General Melanoma Community Joint Pain on Mekinist and Tafinlar

Participant

I started the Mekinist and Tafinlar combo almost 3 weeks ago.  So far so good with minimal side effects.  The only thing I have noticed is aching/sore knees.  I started a running program one week before I began treatment and continued after I started the medications.  Last week I noticed my knees were aching but I attributed it to the running.  Well, the pain has lasted for over a week now so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the medication.

Has anyone else had this issue on the combo therapy and if so have you been able to manage it?  What are you using to ease the soreness.

Thanks
      Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ecc26
        Participant

Side effects may be different for every person. When you say the pain has lasted for over a week, do you mean you have taken a week off from running and it's still there, or are you running despite the pain? If you haven't taken any days off from running, try that. If, after 2-4 days off from running it hasn't changed, then I would think a bit more about it being a side effect. Running can be hard on joints, especially early in a training program when we tend to push our bodies more than we probably should. For me it's my ankles and sometimes my knees. I have learned that I need to suck it up and buy the expensive running shoes that someone has decided would be best for me after analyzing my gait. The cost hurts, but my joints don't. 

As far as management- have you tried over the counter meds (tylenol, ibuprofen, etc)? It's been long enough since I've been on these meds that I don't remember if I was allowed to take them or not- I think I was, as long as I stayed within a certain dose range (only a certain number of pills in a 24 hr period, etc and of course spaced appropriately with the combo drugs). Check with your doctor about what you can take and at what dose. You should be reporting all possible side effects to them anyway.

-Eva

G-Samsa
            Participant

Hi — I have a lot of joint inflammation from these drugs, and as a result they have scheduled doses every other day.  I have moderate fever on the days I take the drug also.  The doctors suspect that the combined effect of the immunotherapy still circulating in me plus the combo is the cause and have suggested one 200mg ibuprofen  an hour before each dose — though I think every doctor has a remedy…

i have found the Ipi-Anti PD-1 combo much easier than this…..

G-Samsa
              Participant

Hi — I have a lot of joint inflammation from these drugs, and as a result they have scheduled doses every other day.  I have moderate fever on the days I take the drug also.  The doctors suspect that the combined effect of the immunotherapy still circulating in me plus the combo is the cause and have suggested one 200mg ibuprofen  an hour before each dose — though I think every doctor has a remedy…

G-Samsa
                Participant

ecc26
                Participant

Side effects may be different for every person. When you say the pain has lasted for over a week, do you mean you have taken a week off from running and it's still there, or are you running despite the pain? If you haven't taken any days off from running, try that. If, after 2-4 days off from running it hasn't changed, then I would think a bit more about it being a side effect. Running can be hard on joints, especially early in a training program when we tend to push our bodies more than we probably should. For me it's my ankles and sometimes my knees. I have learned that I need to suck it up and buy the expensive running shoes that someone has decided would be best for me after analyzing my gait. The cost hurts, but my joints don't. 

As far as management- have you tried over the counter meds (tylenol, ibuprofen, etc)? It's been long enough since I've been on these meds that I don't remember if I was allowed to take them or not- I think I was, as long as I stayed within a certain dose range (only a certain number of pills in a 24 hr period, etc and of course spaced appropriately with the combo drugs). Check with your doctor about what you can take and at what dose. You should be reporting all possible side effects to them anyway.

-Eva

ecc26
                  Participant

-Eva

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics